Thread: Dogwood- how close is too close to the house?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oak

Dogwood- how close is too close to the house?

I bought a little pink dogwood and would love to plant it by the side of my front porch to block the side view of the road. I want to put it on a slight rise in a hill about 15 ft. from the side of the house. However I am afraid many years from now when I don't live here someone else might think it's 'too close' and cut it down. It's way too little now to be a problem, but is this too close by your standards? I haven't dug the hole yet, please let me know.

Oak

RE: Dogwood- how close is too close to the house?

Sounds like it will have plenty of room they grow very slow anyway.

Oak

I agree, I agree.
    15 feet from the house is great for a Dogwood.
    It should be able to develope a good canopy without ever causing a concern for the house.
    Hazzah!!
    "EDUCATION begins when you question something. EDUCATION occurs when you have resolved your doubts" Alex Shigo

Oak

Dogwoods grow incredibly SLOW! But grow a little faster in the shade: http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...903190307/1016

I can attest to that. The one I have in the sun hasn't changed a bit in 3 yrs while the ones in the woods get a little bigger every year.

Oak

Thank you all for your help! I planted it and it looks good. I am sorry it's a slow grower, but at least it's flowering already. I have a very old white dogwood in the front of the house, and I had wanted to put the pink one in front of it so when it dies there will still be one there but that was just too close. I want the white one to live but I don't know. They have a life expectancy of about 100-125 years and the house is 94 years old and I'm guessing the tree was planted when the house was built. There are a lot of other dogwoods in the neighborhood that are also old in front of old houses and many have died so I'm worried about mine. The house just won't look right without the tree. The pink one is on the other side on a little hill and everyone coming up the road can see it. Mostly I wanted it to block my view of the people coming up the road!

Oak

Dogwoods make a perfect porch-tree! Just a shame they take so long to get up to size.

Oak

Yes it is, I can't wait for the pink one to be bigger. The white one is in front of the big part of my front porch, and the pink one is on the side. (it's an old country porch with a swing) Some of the guys here don't like it but I have a Mimosa on the other side of the yard, and it's as beautiful in the summer as the dogwoods are in the spring, lots of butterflies and lightning bugs. I love them all.

My neighbor asked me what kind of tree my Mimosa was, she wanted to plant one. She thought it was a white mountain ash! They don't look anything alike!

I also have a Bartlett pear I need to find a place for, the one I had at my other place suffered so much due to ignorant abusive neighbors, I want this one to be safe. I'm also looking to add a redbud and a magnolia this year if I can find them. I love pretty trees that flower and smell good.

Even though my poor little sycamore didn't make it last year I do have a large, healthy sycamore 'volunteer' in my side yard flower bed. I can't move it but I'm leaving it, since it will grow to cover the kitchen window so nobody can look in. It's so much bigger and healthier than the store bought one was, what a shame it's in the wrong place.

The 'volunteers' I always get are usually maples, but I also have the sycamore, a sassafras, and loads of mulberry and hackberry.

Oak

I was thinking about mentioning magnolia, but didn't think it was such a good porch tree since it gets pretty big. But its a good privacy tree. I found a few small ones in the woods, dug them up and put them in pots. If they live in the pots for a while, I'll stick them in the ground where they can eventually hide my garage door from the road.

A few years ago, my grandma gave me a magnolia flower before it opened up. I stuck it in the 2-liter pepsi bottle of water and let it sit there for a week. It did nothing until one day I just happened to notice it opening up. It went from a tight bud to a wide-open flower in 30 minutes! Then, seemingly just as fast as it opened up, it died and made a big mess on the table.

Hard to beat the smell of those flowers though! Those and honeysuckle are my favorite.

Oak

Re: Dogwood- how close is too close to the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovetrees
    I am afraid many years from now when I don't live here someone else might think it's 'too close' and cut it down.
    You can't control that. A house I sold a few years back had a beautiful flowering cherry (not sure what) right in front of the front porch. The new owners had that gone even before they ever saw it bloom. I know people who will remove ALL trees. It appears to be "common wisdom" around here that topping trees is just what you're supposed to do. Tree trimmers certainly aren't going to educate anyone or 75% of their business would disappear.

Oak

Re: Dogwood- how close is too close to the house?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
    A house I sold a few years back had a beautiful flowering cherry (not sure what) right in front of the front porch. The new owners had that gone even before they ever saw it bloom. I know people who will remove ALL trees.
    I HATE people like that! In my last neighborhood there was a guy who covered his entire yard all around with beautiful plants, he had a hydragenea that took up the whole fence. He had a dark purple crepe myrtle that looked like a tree, not a bush, in the front yard. I had never seen one that color or shape. Some idiot bought the place and not only killed and/or cut down all the trees and plants he even dug up the grass and covered the lawn with mulch! He hated anything green. It made me sick. I have also seen lots of people cut down every tree or most trees in the yard. That makes me mad too, it's sickening. There are a lot of people who have the 'look at my house' motive and think the trees hide it. I'm the opposite, I love trees and hate people staring at my house. I want privacy.

It appears to be "common wisdom" around here that topping trees is just what you're supposed to do. Tree trimmers certainly aren't going to educate anyone or 75% of their business would disappear.
    This 'wisdom' is of course ignorance and many plants suffer for it, and places are uglier because of it. I especially hate the way crepe myrtles are done around here every year, leaving them looking like nothing but stupid sticks coming out of big trunks. Like you say, the tree or landscaping companies aren't going to stop anyone because that's how they get their money. I still believe that the alleged 'myrtle fungus' that allegedly kills if you don't prune was a rumor spread and perpetuated by the landscapers who make money off brutalizing the myrtles on public land and shopping centers around here. I've seen plenty of myrtles left to grow to full size and they are all healthy and look a lot better than the pruned ones.

I was fortunate enough to talk to our city's horticulturist at a park a few weeks ago and he told me the overpruning of crepe myrtles is wrong and bad for them on top of being ugly. He does not do this to the city's trees in the parks and along the road, he only cuts off the dead limbs. He needs to write an article for the newspaper so everyone will see you're not supposed to cut them up like that. Maybe they'd listen to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast