Thread: tree life expectancy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Oak

RE: tree life expectancy

Speaking of tree life, I have SAD news to report today. The recent hot dry weather has cost me not only my two little hackberry transplants but my tough little sycamore I saved from the clearance pile all dried up last year. Those of you who were here last year might remember how I had to sit it in its rootball bag all summer because the ground was too hard to dig during the drought. I only got it in the ground right before the leaves started to fall. I thought it was a survivor. I didn't realize just how dry they were until they withered, no other tree is doing that despite the heat. By the time I watered them it was too late

Oak

Re: RE: tree life expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovetrees
    What do you mean 'reclaimed?' Was it already dead or did you cut down a newer tree?
    I think he means he took apart a barn and built a house with the wood. Reclaimed = claimed again.... from the barn.

and Randy- please get quirky or treeman to verify my id of chinese, I could be wrong.
    Quirky n Treeman are always welcome to comment.... I haven't figured out how to make them yet. But, I'm pretty sure its Chinese.

I think he means he took apart a barn and built a house with the wood. Reclaimed = claimed again.... from the barn.
    Exactly. But it was the guy who built my house who did the reclaiming--about thirty years ago. He was an old farmer and just went around to all his old farmer-buddies and told them that he'd help them take down their old barns in exchange for his pick of the wood. So he spent years collecting these amazing pieces of lumber that simply cannot be gotten anymore.

Randy, I don't know the mechanism for marketing your chestnut as something other than firewood, but I agree: It would be awful just to chop it up! Try doing some googling--you may be able to track down a lumber broker in the area who will harvest the tree and sell it to someone who will do something more constructive than just burning it. (And you'd come out of the deal with some money in your pocket and someone else will do the work.)

Oak

Thanks for the tip. I might give that a go.

It does look more like a Chinese Chestnut to me JustRandy.
    Here are more clues to tell them apart:
    http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/comparison/

Oak

I'm 99.9% sure its chinese. The twigs have fuzz. That alone should be enough, but also the leaves match the chinese profile, the spreading growth of the tree itself matches..... and the fact that grandpa says he gets the biggest nuts off that tree = chinese chestnut.

Oak

Squatters came to mind in the 'reclaim' discussion, in WV they go around taking boards off abandoned but sturdy houses and barns and use them to build shacks down on the strip mines. My girl cousin was staying in my Grandma's house after she passed and caught a bunch of them trying to dismantle the grainery. She came to the door with a shotgun and said 'may I help you?' They took off and never came back.

Oak

I know they come to steal copper pipes n wire,,,, but wood? What year is this again???

Sapling

I guessing a chinese chestnut too, The American Chestnut has saw tooth leaves. Good explanations for Pollarding and Coppicing on page 3. Some trees that can be coppiced include Ash, Maples and Box Elders, Russy Willow and Apple.

Sapling

Exclamation Pollarding

Is probably the best way to extend the life of fast growing box elders since I've seen many split box elders.

But I've never seen a sqirrell hotel or bird nests in these pollarded trees. Maybe a taller tree doesn't fair as well age - wise but maybe that's what nature wanted. On the other end of the scale is the Chestnut with it's tough wood and long slow growth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010035.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	4838  
    We plant trees not for our enjoyment but for the future ; Unknown.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456