Thread: Mimosa growing the wrong way

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Oak

Re: RE: Mimosa growing the wrong way

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovetrees
    I think they're some of the most beautiful trees ever.
    I know it's difficult. My favorite color is purple, I love foxgloves, and I love how a certain tree looks, what with its purple foxglove-like blooms. However, there is no way you could get me to plant a Paulownia because it is an exotic invasive.

Some alternatives from the Least Wanted listing for mimosa ( http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alju1.htm ):

serviceberry (Amelanchier arborea), redbud (Cercis canadensis), flowering dogwood (Cornus florida), river birch (Betula nigra), fringe tree (Chionanthus virginicus), American holly (Ilex opaca), and sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua)
    Cheers,
    Everett

Green Man Enviroscaping LLC
    www.greenmanenvy.com

Oak

RE: Mimosa growing the wrong way

I already have a dogwood tree in my yard. I had 2 sweet gum where I used to live and I didn't like the golfballs. I knew people who cut them down for that reason. I don't understand refusing to plant a plant because it's from another country! Hey if you want to talk 'invasive species' ruining the enviornment, how about human beings? And all but the Native Americans are invasive. They were nature loving and made good use of everything, then the settlers came and made all these cities and ruined the enviornment! Sorry but I think that's unfair and ridiculous. The landscape changes over time for several reasons, some of them being new species moving in. It's very sad when a foreign species brings a disease that kills a native one like happened with the chestnut but what on earth is wrong with a beautiful ornamental tree that brings me pleasure just because it's from Asia?

Super Moderator Oak Quirky Quercus's Avatar

Being exotic ( from another country) is fine as long as it's well behaved in cultivation.
    When trees produce millions of viable seed that are dispersed by wind, water and wildlife, what you think is an innocent flowering tree is actually causing a grove of other mimosa miles away from your house. And that grove keeps getting bigger and bigger and spreading on its own.

Yes humans are like invasive species and this is one great example why. We take over a new area and destroy it. We take things for granted and trash the planet. Humans grow and sell pest plants because they're cheap to produce and make a lot of money.

When people ask about sweetgums, we warn about the seed balls. When people ask about mimosa, we warn of the damage they are doing and the loss of habitat that is resulting. We love trees too and this is why we give out this information. We have no hidden agenda.

The choice is yours, keep a pest thats doing damage because you like the flowers or plant something that is more suitable to cultivation.
    Did you see a moovie from the early 80's called Gremlins?

Oak

The Native Americans made less of an impact on their environment, to be sure, but they did have an impact and shaped the ecology to fit their own needs. Ever hear of swidden agriculture? The Eastern Woodland tribes would surround an area of forest between two bodies of water and set the woods on fire. All of the wildlife that ran out to escape the fire was shot down in the "spring hunt." The hardwood trees mostly survived the fire, but clearings were created where the Indians planted their crops. The next year, they moved to new area, and the former field became a meadow, creating an edge habitat ideal for game.

I disagree with the whole notion that humans are invaders. We're part of our natural world. We can be destructive, but we have a choice. Other species do not. That mimosa isn't going to choose to be aggressive, that is its nature and all that it can be.

Oak

Hmmm... I don't know how that lean could be fixed.

I'd untie it from the dogwood and drive a stake or post and tie it to that, since it would risk stressing or damaging the dogwood when it gets blown around.

I imagine any sort of tying down or staking will become permanent, since it will encourage the tree, over time, to depend on this support instead of strengthening itself.

I know you don't want to cut it off, but I understand Mimosas resprout readily and vigorously. Might be something to consider come fall.

Oak

And all but the Native Americans are invasive.
    No, they just invaded at a much earlier time frame, when they originally migrated from here over the landbridge.
    Cheers,
    Everett

Green Man Enviroscaping LLC
    www.greenmanenvy.com

Oak

Quote Originally Posted by Quirky Quercus
    Being exotic ( from another country) is fine as long as it's well behaved in cultivation.
    When trees produce millions of viable seed that are dispersed by wind, water and wildlife, what you think is an innocent flowering tree is actually causing a grove of other mimosa miles away from your house. And that grove keeps getting bigger and bigger and spreading on its own.
    I guess we have a big difference of opinion here because I don't see what's so bad about a grove of mimosa being down the road. Before moving back to my hometown 2 years ago, I lived for over 20 years in the easternmost part of VA, the Dismal swamp region of Suffolk and Chesapeake. Driving around over the years, I saw groves up mimosa sprout up almost overnight and grow rapidly- in places where before nothing would grow. Where you once had very ugly, dead, dried dirt and partial grass, you now had a grove of beautiful flowering trees. The mimosa were not taking over any other trees' space, they were growing where nothing else would grow, and improving the looks of the place by far! I do believe that the 'tree of heaven' takes over from other trees, I've seen it a lot in the mountains. I have also heard they have a chemical in their roots that don't allow anything else to grow around it. How rude!

Also, mimosa in neighborhoods usually don't spread seeds because they stay in the yard, and seedlings never usually get started or have much chance to grow when people mow their yards. Around here I've seen some very beautiful full grown trees spreading all over a front yard, but no other mimosa around. I loved the way they looked and wanted one of my own.

Yes humans are like invasive species and this is one great example why. We take over a new area and destroy it. We take things for granted and trash the planet.
    Humans are responsible for far more destruction of the natural enviormnent than any plant or animal, I mean on a much, much larger scale. How many entire forests have been destroyed by humans? Trees, birds, creatures, all life and natural balance destroyed for a shopping mall that closes in 20 years, gets torn down and nothing left but dead dirt. Strip mines cuttting off sides of mountains, changing the routing of natural above and underground streams, pollution in rivers, chemicals in oceans, greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, destruction of the ozone layer, the A- bomb, sorry, no contest. Humans beat mimosa by too high a score to count.

Oak

Quote Originally Posted by nightrust
    Hmmm... I don't know how that lean could be fixed.

I'd untie it from the dogwood and drive a stake or post and tie it to that, since it would risk stressing or damaging the dogwood when it gets blown around.
    I didn't even think of that! Next time the wind blows it will hurt both trees. I'll take it off.

I imagine any sort of tying down or staking will become permanent, since it will encourage the tree, over time, to depend on this support instead of strengthening itself.
    I think once the branch grows to be heavy enough to support the weight of the leaves it will hold itself up. I need to brace it until then, somehow. The stake does seem best but I have no idea how to do it myself.

I know you don't want to cut it off, but I understand Mimosas resprout readily and vigorously. Might be something to consider come fall.
    That's the thing, in the winter it's not hanging down because it's not weighed down by heavy leaves. With no leaves the thing was like 6 feet higher up and sticking up. It only sags when all the leaves come out.

Oak

Quote Originally Posted by ellyssian
    And all but the Native Americans are invasive.
    No, they just invaded at a much earlier time frame, when they originally migrated from here over the landbridge.
    Yes they did! I was thinking about that, but they weren't has invasive as the European settlers because they lived much more in harmony with nature. But they too messed some things up, as ihatesuburbansprawl mentioned. But there is nothing worse than what modern day humans have done to the land, water, and atmosphere. No petty damage done by a plant or animal can come close.

Oak

Another thing about trees being planted where they're not from, what about Johnny Appleseed? In school they teach kids he was a nice guy who spread apple seeds all across the country where they were not native and this was a good thing. Also settlers in the old west planted many cottonwood trees to brace them from the prairie wind and give needed shade. And aren't most fruit trees from Europe or the middle east?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast