Thread: Oops! Did I plant a Redbud too close to my house????

Oops! Did I plant a Redbud too close to my house????

This past weekend, I planted a Redbud tree about 5 - 6 feet from the corner of my house. My parents had a redbud tree about 20 years that never was more than 8' high and 6' across so I figured I should be good. When I looked redbuds up on the internet, I see they can reach 20' high and just as big across yikes!! Can it be pruned to keep a smaller size? I can't remember ever seeing a redbud that big. I live in NE, do they not grow as big in zone 5? Should I move it? It has only been in the ground 2 days. Would I stress it out too much by moving it again? If I can and do move it, what would be a good replacement tree that can be planted 5 to 6' from the house?

Oak

RE: Oops! Did I plant a Redbud too close to my house????

I'd be more concerned about the roots than the above-group tree size. If it's planted off the corner in an open piece of yard, I'd say you're okay since that should provide more room for roots to spread and not force their way against your foundation. I'll let the experienced experts in this forum speak more to that.

My neighbor has a large, older redbud that seems to have responded well to some skillful pruning. It's around 15' tall with about an equal spread.

If you decide to move it, you're probably safe to do so, unless it was planted bareroot, in which case I'd wait until next fall.

I thought Redbuds grew slowly, too, but the ones I received for renewing my Arbor Day membership and planted this spring have really surprised me. I planted most of them in what used to be raised garden beds the year before. I guess they respond well to fertile soil. One has climbed from a 4-inch twig to nearly six feet just this year!

Seedling

RE: Oops! Did I plant a Redbud too close to my house????

Redbuds can get fairly large in maturity. I had one at my previous home that was well above the roof of the house (ranch style) and probably had a 15-20 foot spread. It had a very nice, shady canopy with beautiful flowers in the spring, which is why we have planted one at our new home!