Thread: What has long thorns & small black berries?

What has long thorns & small black berries?

Mature bush/shrub growing in central New York with clusters of small black berries and very nasty, inch-long thorns. Similar in size and growing habits to lilac trees, also growing nearby, including tendency to grow multiple "trunks" in close proximity to one another. Diameter of the trunks range from about 1" to about 2". Height is approximately 10-feet.

We've always just called it "Mulberry Bush," because our two yellow Labs would chase each other around and around it when they were pups. But it would be nice to know what it really is, and any help will be appreciated.

Super Moderator Oak Quirky Quercus's Avatar
    Hate to say it but it looks like Rhamnus frangula (aka buckthorn) which is an invasive species.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirky Quercus View Post
    Hate to say it but it looks like Rhamnus frangula (aka buckthorn) which is an invasive species.
    I found a website that had a photo very similar to it, and I suspect you're right. It also mentioned that this species was invasive. There are none other like it in my area that I've seen, though.

Funny line in the description of the buckthorn on that other website: it was describing how the berries are toxic, and quoted some botanist guy saying "Everything is edible ...once."

Thanks for your feedback. I'll hang out for just a little while longer to see if others agree with us.

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceHead View Post
    "Everything is edible ...once."
    Ha ha! that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees are neat! View Post
    Ha ha! that's funny.
    I just wish I'd thought of it!