Thread: What tree is this/what is wrong with it?

What tree is this/what is wrong with it?

My wife and I just moved to a new house and found this tree in the back-yard. I don't think it was this way when we first moved in (early June), at least not this bad, so it leads me to believe that it may be a result of the heat/drought...or maybe something we've done??? overwatering/underwatering... not sure...

I'd like help at least identifying what kind of tree it is, which will help narrow down what's wrong with it, but if I can get help with both questions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	4749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	4750  

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    Any flowers? If so, what color?
    Any fruits/berries? If so what colors?

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    It is hard to say what is wrong with your tree without being able to examine it in person. The damage to the leaves in interesting b/c it appears to happen along the veins of the leaf. There are a number of diseases that could affect this tree, but it does not look like any that are associated with the Prunus species (not sure if that is what this tree is for sure).

To me it looks like it could be a nutrient deficiency. You might consider doing a soil test to see if your soil is deficient in one of more of the essential elements. Most cooperative extension offices offer a free or cheap rate for performing this test. Here is the link to their website:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/
    They might be able to look at the photo and tell you want is wrong. They often have extension office agents that would be familiar with issues that affect plant/trees in your area.