Thread: Help with sick Maple and River Birch

Help with sick Maple and River Birch

Not sure what's wrong with our maple and river birch. The trunk on the maple tree is splitting by the base of the tree, also about a 1/4 of the upper branches are dying. The river birch also has some limbs dying, but does not have any cracks in the trunk. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maple2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	4735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maple1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	4734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river birch.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	4736  

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    The maple looks like it has some borer damage. There are little holes, which are probably to blame for the cracks. This is a serious issue and should be addressed by a tree care professional. Please seek out a local arborists to take a closer look. The dying limbs will need to be removed (as they are likely infested with grubs). Here is a link to help you find an arborist in your area:
    http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx
    The river birch might be suffering from drought stress. I have a 25' tall one in my back yard and it dropping foliage due to the heat. It's gotten so bad I have had to rake leaves. You have help the river birch out by giving it a deep watering every 4 days (as long as high temps continue). It is important that you soak the ground out to the drip line of the tree. Watering near the trunk won't have a significant impact. It is amazing how much of a difference this will make in a few days. Try raking up the leaves watering, and then check to see if it continues to shed leaves.

Once the summer heat dissipates, water deeply once a week. Careful not to overdo it. Make sure to check the ground prior to watering. You don't want the soil to be dry. There should be enough moisture in the soil to allow you to compress a small amount into a ball that crumbles easily.

Thank you. We will try to get some help with the maple. I got it when it was very small and had to really baby it. I'd hate to lose it.
    We'll do better with watering the river birch. I thought we were giving it enough. It has a piece of pvc pipe to water with, but i'll make sure to soak it.
    Thanks again,
    Lisa