Thread: Nuisance Tree ID?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Acorn

Nuisance Tree ID?

I have a bunch of these thing growing all around my house to the point of them choking out all the plants. I dug up one of the flower bed that had some and the root system is nuts. It took 5 or 6 days for two people to dig a 200 sq ft area of roots! And these were small ones. Only 6 to 8ft tall and thin enough I could clip the trunks. The one pictured is taller than the house and very thick around (thicker than my 10+ year old oak tree). I will have to actually use a saw to take it down.

I guess I am wondering what the heck are these and is there an easy way of killing them? If I base the remaining plants on the time it took me to dig up what I have, I have about a month plus of yard work just for these darn plants! I am not looking forward to this.

From the ground looking up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	4731
    The trunk of the tree:

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	4732

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	4733

Oak
    maybe sumac or tree of heaven.

Acorn
    Would it help to know where I live? If so, outside of Fort Worth, Texas.

These plants do drop their leaves in the winter and don't get any fruits, flowers, or color changes. Not sure if that helps at all.
    Last edited by mollykemp; 07-28-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    I think you are dealing with at least two different trees. The third pic looks like Tree of heaven, and they can be a real problem to remove. The best strategy is to catch them while they are young as seedlings and pull them as soon as you see them. For more established trees, digging them out is your best bet (unless you want to spend money to hire someone else to do it).

Can you take another look at pics one and two and make sure they are from the same tree? If they are not, please post some more pics showing the leaves, how the leaves are attached to the stems and pictures of bark are always helpful.

Super Moderator Oak Quirky Quercus's Avatar
    They look like different trees. Are they?

Acorn
    You know. They are. I didn't realize. Sorry. I have jungle on the side of the house because it wasn't maintained. I will get pictures as soon as I get home!

Sapling
    It's very hard to tell the difference between "Tree of Heaven" and the sumacs; But they will send up shoots at all the root nodules when the tree is cut down.

Since it sounds like you have roots through-out your property any flowerbeds you plan will be have to have the roots removed before planting.

Or you could go the Round-up route and spray every shoot you see, Eventually killing the root. You'll first have to cut down the trees which you've already done, Now it's just a matter of getting the roots killed which you'll evenutally do.

Why not start a lawn with a few flower beds where you've already dug them out?

Weekly mowing will keep them short and you can use a sponge brush dipped in Round-up to apply to the leaves. That should do the trick as the new growth is tender and should die easily. If the round-up doesn't kill the top growth there's stronger chemicals avaible but usually the tender shoots die and carries the round-up down to the root. Problem is it doesn't carry far down the root and as long as the root can send up shoots and get energy from the Sun it keeps growing.

It's an on-going war with Sumacs, They can shoot up a foot in a couple of months and then you're starting over with healthy roots again, Forcing you to cut down the tree and getting more shoots.

That's the way Mother Nature works; She abhors bare ground and trees like sumac build up the bare soil when they drop their leaves. It's the first stage to a mature forest. Soon a squirrel will bury a nut or a bird will poop a seed; In time the Sumac gets shaded out or it's shallow roots can't get enough nutritrion to compete with the large tree.

Another possibility is prepping areas for trees and shrubs and installing edging and covering the islands in wood mulch. Your edgeing installion will destroy some roots and the ones that poke their head above the wood mulch can be removed or sprayed and the roots in the lawn will get cut.

You'll know you've won the war when you see toadstools popping up; That's when you can start planting landscaping trees and shrubs for a more lovely landscape

Acorn
    Now that I have had a closer look, they are two different plants, but they are growing so close together, I didn't catch it. So, I have taken a few more pictures.

These two pictures are of the first plant pictured above.

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	4737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	4738

These three pictures are of the last plant pictured above (the last three pictures).

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	4739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2686.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	4740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	4741

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar
    First two pictures (rounder leaves and gray stems) looks like a European filbert to me. Are the leaves fuzzy?
    Second set of pics, is a sumac of some sort... I think.

Acorn
    The first two pictures, the leaves aren't fuzzy but they are rough. They don't look rough but are very rough sort of like sandpaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast