Thread: What is this tree and can I save it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is this tree and can I save it?

This tree was part of our home construction 2.5 years ago. What kind of tree is it? It's been fine until now with the drought and temperatures 100+. Obviously it needs some care now. My main concern is the leaves that are missing. Will those come back? I gave the soil at the base and a 5 foot diameter around the tree a good soaking last night.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7180421.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	4716  
    Last edited by iluvbnurguy; 07-18-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Super Moderator Oak Quirky Quercus's Avatar
    It's a sugar maple.
    And it's planted too deep.
    Get rid of those wires/stakes and , excavate the root flare so it's above grade. Keep the mulch several inches from the trunk.

Keep it watered well. Sugar maples are not the most heat and drought tolerant trees. I wouldn't issue a death certificate on it yet but recuperating from that is going to be an uphill battle. Re-evaluate in next spring.
    Last edited by Quirky Quercus; 07-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.

This isn't going to be one of those trees that's going to cover my yard with those helicopters is it?

That's typically more of a complaint with silver maples rather than sugar maples although sugar maples produce samaras too.

Sugar maples are extremely desirable trees and if you could get this one to grow to become a large tree dropping litter in your lawn, you should consider yourself extremely fortunate as you will then have a magnificent tree with many benefits that add value to your property. Especially their breath taking fall color which is rivaled by really only a couple of other trees. Any litter can be easily controlled with leaf blowers or lawn mowers.

I'm really disappointed in myself for letting it get like this. I should note that the leaves missing from the top of the tree fell off last summer during a brief heat wave. Those leaves did not come back this spring. I'm hoping they may in the future. Or should I be looking at removing those branches? Thanks for the assistance with this. I'm going to do everything I can to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvbnurguy View Post
    I'm really disappointed in myself for letting it get like this. I should note that the leaves missing from the top of the tree fell off last summer during a brief heat wave. Those leaves did not come back this spring. I'm hoping they may in the future. Or should I be looking at removing those branches? Thanks for the assistance with this. I'm going to do everything I can to keep it going.
    If the branches with no leaves are brittle and snap off when you bend them then they are dead and the leaves aren't coming back. And if that's the case, then yes- go ahead and remove them.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If the tree wasn't planted properly to begin with, that's not your fault.

I removed all the stakes, wires etc from the tree and moved the mulch out of the way. I did some excavating. Hopefully this is correct.

You may have to go a little deeper yet. Feel for the top most root.
    Also time to graduate to a bigger diameter mulch ring.

I don't know what came first... the tree or the grass but that small mulch ring makes me think whoever planted it just dug a hole just wide enough for the soil ball and plopped it in there. If so the hole was not dug wide enough. Too deep but not wide enough.
    Last edited by Quirky Quercus; 07-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.

9. 07-23-2012, 11:49 PM
    Reason
    Wrong thread

The tree didn't survive a nasty wind storm we had the first week of August. My weather station clocked 78 mph winds over a 3-4 minute period. The tree blew over. I went ahead and pulled it out as it was pretty much uprooted. I dug a bigger hole and replanted it. So far nothing has changed. It doesn't seem to be dying but I don't know what next year will have in store. Most of the little trees in our neighborhood blew over. I now have it staked again because it's not stable.

This is a picture just before I replanted it in the same spot, only bigger hole. Any chance this little guy will make it? The main roots were broken off from the storm but the root ball was intact.

Last edited by iluvbnurguy; 09-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Yes there is a chance but that's a rough thing to go through.
    If it was still staked it'd probably be in pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast