Thread: Some questions about Arbor Day Trees

Some questions about Arbor Day Trees

I am looking to plant some privacy shrubbery... I would require 15' in height and not much spread (8' at the most) as well as being next to nothing in maintenance... I live in SW Georgia (Zone and was looking at some Techny arborvitae which seems like a good fit... it has a lot of sun where I am planting and can be quite dry during the summer season... any other recommendations? I notice Arbor Day doesn't sell these trees and the trees that they do sell are somewhat small 1-2'... is there a way to get taller trees like 8-10' (should I ask the local nursery to stock them?).. any advice would be appreciated... thanks..

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar

RE: Some questions about Arbor Day Trees

Techny arborvitae would work, but you are close to the upper limit of their hardiness zone rating. Another tight cone shaped evergreen you might be interested in is the Taylor Juniper. This tree is rated to USDA hardiness zone 9, however I do not know how well it does in the south

The Arbor Day Foundation only sell two year old seedlings that are in a bare root state. If you would like to get something larger, I would suggest going to a local nursery.

I thought about that juniper however it doesn't have much of a spread.. The hedge I am trying to make is about 200 feet long... it would take a lot of those junipers to make that hedge... It seems Techny doesn't do well in zone 8 which is where I am at... any other choices? Thanks...

Super Moderator Oak Trees are neat!'s Avatar

I am out of my element here ( I live in Nebraska).... but here are some native recommendations. These might be a little more shrub like with a rounded habit. On the plus side they are native and should not require much maintenance other then the occasional pruning.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Illicium floridanum (Florida anisetree)

Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurel)

Leiophyllum buxifolium (sandmyrtle)

Leucothoe axillaris (coastal doghobble)

Leucothoe fontanesiana (highland doghobble)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

I found this on this site:
    http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=1073
    Hope these suggestions help. If anyone else is more familiar with the plants of GA, please feel free to weigh in.