PDA

View Full Version : please help identify this "fruit"

garytrep
11-14-2006, 04:50 PM
I have recently been to a small town in Southern Ontario named Wallaceburg. While there, we saw a tree that was about 20-30 feet tall and it had the most unusual "fruit" on it. No one that I talked to had any idea what kind of tree it was. Unfortunately, the only pictures I have are of this "fruit". The second picture is a cross-section. It had no nut. The outer flesh is somewhat soft and the centre flesh is woody - like the centre of a pineapple. Can anybody identify it for me? The fruit is about the size of an adult fist or maybe a softball. Thanks

Quirky Quercus
11-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Osage orange

garytrep
11-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks Quirky Quercus
Once I knew what to search for, I've been reading online about the Osage Orange or Hedgeapple all morning. Quite interesting. I am suprised that this tree grows so far north.(Wallaceburg is very close to Detroit, MI) It's the only tree I saw in the area but there problably are others.

Quirky Quercus
11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I think it might be an invasive pest where you are but I'm not really sure. I think the trees may sprout readily from the fallen fruit/seed.

garytrep
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
The fallen fruit from the tree did appear to make quite a mess in the yard it was growing in. Probably quite the chore to clean up each year. It is planted in the middle of their front lawn so any new trees trying to grow would be chopped by the lawnmower. The tree is quite mature and is at least as tall as the two-story house on the property. Wish I was still in the area to get more pictures and see what it is like in the summer.

Quirky Quercus
11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I think I read that people would dig a little hole where they want a fence post then drop in some rotting fruit in there. :lol: