PDA

View Full Version : endangered trees

tigreyz
11-07-2006, 10:41 PM
i recently bought a house w/ several trees in the yard. AmerenUE wants to cut down several around the power lines. I would like to save the seeds or take clippings if i could to replace these trees elsewhere in the yard. They want to take a mulberry, a half berry ?, elm, and some cherry trees. Don't know when they plan to take them, trying to work fast. Thanks!!!

pwk16
11-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Growing trees from seeds can be rewarding and is fairly easy to do. However, if the trees are cultivars or have been grafted then the trees that you will receive will not be the same as the original due to cross-pollination.
The easiest way to do this is to choose a spot in your garden or flower bed which is protected from animals and plant the seeds this fall. Most likely you'll have small trees by the beginning of the summer. The seeds need to spend winter outdoors or they won't germinate.

IhateSuburbanSprawl
11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
I bet that "half berry" is "hackberry." Are you sure they HAVE to cut them down? I'd ask them for other options. Maybe they HAVE to trim them, but I'm always suspicious of people saying that they need to cut down a tree that has been there for a long time. It usually means that they WANT to cut it down for their own convenience. If it all possible, save the trees!

Toronado3800
12-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Did you get things resolved with the power company yet? After the last round of power outages following a storm Ameren is bound to demand either full access to their right of way to fell trees, or charge homeowners for the damage their trees do.

Think of this scenario: A tree went down up the street from me on private property. It was a poorly placed scragly cottonwood which overhung power lines and put out the lights for a few hours. Its honest to say the homeowner was negligent in not trimming the tree, its lost branches for at least four years I've known it. Another neighbor of mine has a relative on oxygen, needs the power to be on. Lights went out overnight and, what if someone died, or I feel like sueing because my pipes burst, or I missed a flight. It woudn't be the worst lawsuit if the cottonwood owner was found liable.

I have a decent size yard but a big ash and oak of mine are getting close to the lines in their maturity. Gonna make some work for me over the summer.