PDA

View Full Version : The Formation of Acorns

Bla82
10-07-2006, 06:06 PM
How quickly do acorns form? Is this a process which requires the steady dedication of energy over the course of several months, or do acorns develop fairly quickly? I don't believe any acorns have fallen in my area yet, though I used binoculars to look into the crowns of a few varieties of the white oak group and did not see any acorns. So, if the acorns are still a few weeks from falling, is it possible that they have not developed yet? This is why I ask the question: how quickly do acorns form? Thanks for your help. I live in hardiness zone 5.

treeman
10-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Acorns take about 6 or 24 months (depending on the species) to mature.

Acorns of the Red oak family take 2 growing seasons to mature, they start to form in the spring and mature the second fall of the next year. Oaks in the white oak family take one growing season to mature, so they mature in the same year, they start in the spring and mature in the fall.

The White Oak takes one year to mature so if it has any you would see them now because they start to form in the spring and mature in the fall. Sometimes oaks can make hardly any acorns some years and make a ton in other years. It just depends on the genetics of the oak and if it is a good year for the oak to form many acorns.

Bla82
10-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Thank you, treeman. This must a be a down year in terms of acorn production for the white oaks in my area. Last year, there were so many acorns that they covered the earth below the trees. Then again, there was a severe drought here last year, and I have heard nut-bearing trees produce more during years of drought. I read that article you posted on how to grow oaks from acorns. Good stuff!

Red Maple
10-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Hello Bla82,

Thanks for the good question about acorns. It might interest you to know about the work of the International Oak Society.

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen/ios.html

"International Oaks, the journal of the International Oak Society, is published annually and contains current research on the genus Quercus and its diverse ecosystem habitats. The journal also features general interest articles about notable oak specimens and oak-related issues."