PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with tree identification in Georgia #2

Lanier_Lurker
09-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Here is a fairly large hickory, I just don't know which variety.

Unfortunately, the lowest branches are a good 35-40 feet high. The first picture is the best shot of the leaves I could get.

treeman
09-13-2006, 10:41 PM
This is a Pignut Hickory (Carya glabra)

More info here:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/carya/glabra.htm

It grows 60 to 80 feet tall and its trunk Usualy becomes 2 to 3 wide. It has compound leaves 6 to 12 inches long and Usualy 5 leaflets but can have as little as 3 or as much as 7 leaflets sometimes. It Usualy grows on Dry and moist uplands in hardwood forests with oaks and other hickories.

One of the most common hickories in the southern Appalachians and an important timber source, its wood is made into tool handles and skis. It was formerly used for wagon wheels and textile loom picker sticks because it could sustain tremendous vibration. Named in colonial times from the comsuption of the small nuts that farmers let their pigs & hogs eat. Early settlers, who also called it "Broom Hickory," made brooms from narrow splits of the wood.

Lanier_Lurker
09-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Hmmm, that would not have been one of my guesses. I was thinking mockernut, bitternut, sand, or even red. But, since I am an amatuer I need all the help I can get. I found some decent pictures at this site:

http://www.forestry.auburn.edu/samuelson/dendrology/

I will see if I can get a better shot of the leaves.

Thanks!

treeman
09-14-2006, 07:25 AM
There are only 6 type of hickories that grow in the range of Lake Lanier, GA

Sand Hickory -I narrowed this out because it has 7-9 leaflets.
Shagbark Hickory- I narrowed this out because the bark is very shaggy.
Bitternut Hickory- I narrowed this out because it has 7-9 leaflets.
Mockernut Hickory - I narrowed this out because it has 7-9 leaflets.
Red Hickory - I narrowed this out, It is similar to Pignut Hickory (C. glabra), but the leaves usually have 7 leaflets instead of 5.

Pignut Hickory - So what is left is Pignut Hickory which most leafs usually have 5 leaflets, and that is what I see in your picture.

One other note, leafs that grow in the lower part of the tree will usually have larger leafs because they do not get as much sun.

Lanier_Lurker
09-14-2006, 09:06 AM
There is a cluster of small hickories near this big guy that are almost certainly his offspring. Here is a good close up of the 5 leaflets on one of them.

treeman
09-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I still think its a Pignut Hickory to me because if most of them have 5 leaflets on each compound leaf then it is a Pignut.

Lanier_Lurker
09-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Sounds good to me.

Thanks a lot for your help!