Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
A tree with hanging bell-shaped pods [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A tree with hanging bell-shaped pods

sbperez
08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Can someone help me identify this tree? Leaves are about 3.5 " long, 1.25" wide, and lanceolate, dull green on top, lighter beneath. Center line is yellow. Trunk bark is reddish and very peel-y. Maybe 16 inches in diameter. Tree is perhaps 30 feet tall with spreading crown. But most interesting, there are groups of hanging bell-shaped pods....very fibrous and woody. A few have fringy red blossoms hanging out of them.

The tree trunk itself starts to divide into several limbs at about 8 feet from the ground.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's not in any of my West Coast books. I am in Northern California.

Many thanks....SBP

saccharum
08-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a Eucalyptus species - particularly the bell-shaped seed pods are typical of some eucalypts, and all the other characteristics would fit, as well. That would explain why it's not in your West Coast books (since they're non-native), but they're very commonly planted, with a few species that are locally naturalized or invasive.

There are over 600 species in the genus, so I won't hazard a guess as to which one you've got.

Quirky Quercus
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
But I will.
Eucalyptus rudis
aka flooded gum.
take a look at these images for what is likely to be what you have since it's just a common street tree in california. Not a guarantee, just a clue.
http://www.cityofla.org/BOSS/streettree/EucalyptusRudis.htm

saccharum
08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I dunno man, E. rudis isn't one of the species that can have red flowers, as far as I know.

Eucalyptus ID is a serious pain!

Quirky Quercus
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
The photos on that link did show some flower-looking things but they weren't red. Lets see what the poster has to say about it.

sbperez
08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Gosh, thank you everyone for the thoughts on my mystery tree. It is definitely not the kind of eucalyptus I am accustomed to. They have tons around here. But it might be another kind of eucalyptus. I'll try to find a specific reference book for it, since none of mine work. The pods are a little different: they hang down on their stalks like wooden bluebells! And the flowers are a vivid red. Guess I will get up my courage and knock on the owners door. Thanks again...Meanwhile, any other thoughts will be welcome.

sbperez
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Guess what. Thanks to the tip re: Eucalytus, I think I found the plant on several Web sites: Corymbia ficifolia (formerly Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Red-Flowering Gum. It's native to Australia.

I'm fairly certain this is the one. It talks about the fibrous pods that remain after the flowers fall.

Sounds like its quite common in California, and I'll probably notice now that my eyes are open. Many thanks.