Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Mystery Tree [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Tree

flatdog
08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Hello all.

Can any of you identify this tree? its leafs emerge late spring, is always dark purple and its gnarled. It looks like all the brances point downwards.

I live in West Michigan, so it can take brutal winters too.

Thanks!

Aesculus
08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
It looks like a pendulous or contorted form of purple leaf European Beech (Fagus sylvatica) to me, possibly one of the following forms: Fagus sylyatica ‘Purpurea Pendula’ is possibly the most popular beech presently grown in this country. The demand still exceeds the supply. It is strongly pendulous and must be staked to grow upward. This growth habit, coupled with the dark purple leaves, results in a very pleasing form. The failure to generate a central leader is a drawback of this cultivar. Fagus sylvatica ‘Purple Fountain’ is a recently developed cultivar that does not have this problem. Staking the young plant will start it upwards, allowing it to continue such development by itself. The nurserymen growing this plant are quite excited about it. The leaves are not as dark as ‘Purpurea Pendula’, but the growth habit more than compensates for this slight difference.

flatdog
08-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks Aesculus.

I believe you are right. The "purple fountain" european beech looks like a match.

http://beavercreeknursery.com/plantdetails.cfm?ID=214

thanks!