PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

almostwooded
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm at my parent's, and they have a tree we can not not identify. Any help would be appreciated. Will attach pictures. Thanks !

saccharum
07-30-2006, 05:32 PM
You're in Wisconsin, if memory serves, right?

It looks like it might be black cherry (Prunus serotina) or pin cherry (Prunus pensylvanica), since it looks like the teeth on the margins are incurved in that distinctive way. If there are any fruit, that would help - but they might be too young.

almostwooded
07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
LOL, I'm asking a lot of questions when the experts start remembering where I am :)

I should have included more details, but was in a rush to post so I could get back out on the lake :) I kept forgetting to take pictures everytime I was out there and finally got that far anyway.

My parents said last year there were white blossoms on it, but none at all this year. AFTER your response, they also mentioned they did recall "some kind" of small berries.

Now that I know what it is, I'm going to have to search around their place in hopes of finding some still at seedling size to bring home with me and see how they do here :)

Thanks again for the info !!!!

Aesculus
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
I vote for a species of deciduous Holly for this one, possibly Ilex decidua or I. verticillata. If so, it should have small white 5-petaled flowers and small red berries on female plants. If male no berries.

Acacier
08-02-2006, 01:14 AM
attached please find the foto of a female Ilex verticillata in bloom for reference.