PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tree??

wooden_pony
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I dug up this as a seedling at our old house in Hollister, CA. We had the parent tree in our backyard there. I loved it!!! I wanted to make sure I had one at our new house.

Nobody seems to know what kind of tree it is not even the old owner's of the house knew what they had planted.

The parent tree grew rapidly (as is my seedling) as an adult tree it has a BEAUTIFUL dappled shade the leaves are tough like leather, and it, the adult leaves did not have the teeth all along the edges. Small berries (robins love them), long swaying branches. Berries once dropped grew quickly into TONS of seedlings. I dug up this one it was about 2" tall. That was last spring now it is about 3' tall!!!

I hope the attached photo can help out on the ID of this tree. My photo is of my seedling! The leaves that are more rounded are what the parent tree had.

Need more photos I can do that.

We had a heat wave right after I planted it so it got a little stressed, hence the brown leaves.

One more thing I never noticed flowers on the parent tree just small, little dark colored berries. Leaves also do not change color when ready to fall.

Quirky Quercus
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Take a look at this and see if it resembles what you have
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/u/ulmpum/ulmpum1.html

wooden_pony
06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
No, hummm I thought it was an Elm as well, but no. I am working on finding a photo of the parent tree from our previous backyard. The adult leaves lose alot of the veining and turn into a leather feeling, tough, leaf not like the elm trees. Also, no suckers are with this tree..... another reason I love it so much!!

Quirky Quercus
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok then I think my original suspicions might have been right.
Hackberry.
http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/Forestry/trees/hackberry.htm

wooden_pony
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
The bark on the adult tree was smooth. Leaves of the hackberry are still not right.....
Here is a photo of the parent tree, sorrry not that close, but maybe it will help??

wooden_pony
06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Here is another one as well....

saccharum
06-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I think that Quercus may have been close, but thinking on the wrong coast. :) I'm not at all sure about this, but it might be mediterranean hackberry, Celtis australis. Not uncommon to have planted in CA, and I think the bark is usually very smooth, with few (if any) warts.

wooden_pony
06-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Leaves of the Hackberry are not right. I guess it is hard to tell from the baby tree but the adult leaves change they look different them the seedlings leaf.....

The adult leaves are not as green and shiny they are dull and dark green, leathery. Here are a few more photos of the baby.

I went out and took some of what they look like once mature, but of course once mature a dark thick colored leaf instead of this bright soft leaf.

Wish I still lived at my old house so that I could get better photos of the adult tree!

On the first photo look at the leaf at the top side of the branch the one in between the two pointed ones, that different shaped one, that is what the shape of the adult leaf will look like!!!!

Quirky Quercus
06-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Northern hackberry leaves are leathery.
I don't think I've ever seen a mediterranean hackberry but if you click on the link below it will show you more photos to compare. I think that's a mighty fine guess there Sac.

Click me (http://images.google.com/images?q=Celtis%20australis&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)