PDA

View Full Version : No one seems to be able to ID this tree!

AdamF
06-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi all,

We recently moved into a new home in Massachusetts. This tree is in our front bed. It's in an awful place for as it's begun to grow into the gutters. I'd like to move it but I want to ID it first.

In the winter with no leaves it has beautiful, thin, wavy branches. In bloom as it is now, the leaves actually seem to be too heavy for the branches and many are drooping.

Anyhow, I'd really like to ID this tree. A landscaper mentioned what he thought it was but I unfortunately didn't catch the name. I thought he said "Japanese" something.

Thank you in advance!

*sorry, for some reason it would only accept 2 of my 3 attachments so I had to post the other one this way...
http://www.adamfield.com/dump/pics/garden/dscn6965.jpg

Aesculus
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
What you have is Japanese Stewartia (Stewartia pseudocamellia). Do a Google search and see if you don't agree.

AdamF
06-08-2006, 01:14 PM
What you have is Japanese Stewartia (Stewartia pseudocamellia). Do a Google search and see if you don't agree.

That's defnitely it, thanks! From what I've read quickly it seems like a tree that lots of people like. I love it myself. But, where the original house owners planted it is bad. It's growing into the gutters. I have two questions that maybe someone here can help me with:

1. The tree looks very vibrant, healthy and growing but does anyone know why some of the branches are so floppy? It looks the the leaves are too much weight for the branches to handle. In the little bit of research that I did, it says they very rarely need to be pruned.

2. Like I mentioned, this is not a good place for it. I have a place that is perfect but again in my research it looks like this is a tough tree to move. Anyone have experience moving one? I would hate for something to happen to it upon moving. It's such a pretty year-round tree. The branches are beautiful in the winter!

Thanks again.
-Adam

Quirky Quercus
06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah that looks like it's going to be tough to move due to the size. Wait until fall or winter when the tree is dormant. There's a chance it doesn't survive the transplant but it's future in that location looks grim. Might as well take a chance.

AdamF
06-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the opinion. Any ideas why it's so floppy? Is this normal?

Aesculus
06-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Actually the photograph that you have posted seems to show that the plant has been damaged in some way. Is it possible that they put a new roof (shingles) on the house before you moved in. The way the limbs have been bent down is indicative of someone standing on the roof and throwing old shingles down, but this is just a wild guess. So, if you move a tree this large you'll need to prune heavily to compensate for root loss, so that would be a good time to correct the problem.

Quirky Quercus
06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
If he says yes about the roof, I will be thoroughly impressed with that detective work.

AdamF
06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
If he says yes about the roof, I will be thoroughly impressed with that detective work.

Well, we just moved into the house this past October so we haven't had any work done. In the picture to the left, that's an addition that was added in 2001. So, I suppose when they added that addition it's possible but you would think they'd be bringing shingles up for the new roof, not throwing any down. And the roof on the original structure is original from the early 90's.

In the winter these brances were standing straight up and looked great but the weight of the leaves now makes them sag. I guess we'll have to chance moving it once the season is over and prune it down.

Any suggestions on the best month to try and move it in Massachusetts?

Thanks again!

treeman
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
The best time to move it would be in the fall after the leaves fall off and before it begins to freeze OR during the spring after the freeze danger has ended and before the buds begain to enlarge and open.

Transplant info:
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/shrubsbushes/ht/transplanting.htm