PDA

View Full Version : tree in New Hampshire

Dracaena
05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Here's a tree in my yard; I've wondered for years what it was. It's about 6-7" in diameter at the base and is perhaps 20 feet tall. Thanks!

Dracaena
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Do you need any more pictures? This is fun! :D

P.S. - the power line people lopped off the top of this tree 3-4 years ago, so it might not be its original shape. It's currently trying to decide which branch is going to be the leader. A side branch seems to be winning.

Aesculus
06-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm 100% sure that this is an Ash (Fraxinus sp.), and 95% sure that it is a White Ash (Fraxinus americana). There appears to be three species of Ash in your area:
White Ash (F. americana)
Green Ash (F. pennsylvanica)
Black Ash (F. nigra)
I'm not familiar with Black since it doesn't grow in my area, but I don't think it's that species.
White and Green can be difficult to separate, as some of the differences are the leaf scars and the fruit. And, since Ashes are dioecious (male and female flowers on separate trees), if you have a male it will never have fruits. Usually (and I emphasis usually) White Ash leaves are darker above and very pale beneath; leaflets with very few teeth; leaflets hang down from the rachis (leaf stalk). Green Ash leaves are generally lighter green above and slightly lighter beneath; usually with more teeth; and upright along the rachis. The characteristic of leaflets hanging or upright is best observed with open (sun) grown specimens.

Quirky Quercus
06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I think this one had some replies before the forum went down and the consensus was that it was an ash, some people thought green ash. I would be surprised if black ash was in cultivation because I don't think it is.

Aesculus
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Ok. What happened to Saccharum? Haven't seen any posts or replies from him lately.

Quirky Quercus
06-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know. I haven't seen him on any of the forums lately.
He was a tree forum addict too so hope he's ok and didn't kick the habit.

saccharum
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi guys! No, I'm still around, but I've been busier than usual lately. The tree forum addiction is tough to kick. :)

To me that looks more like a green ash (F. pennsylvanica), but I try to reserve judgement until I get a good look at a leaf scar. Black ash is sort of a small, slow-growing swamp species, and like y'all said I don't think I've ever seen it cultivated.

Dracaena
06-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a leaf scar?

Aesculus
06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
You can actually see one (not well enough) in your last picture. After the leaf falls off, it leaves a scar on the twig which can be very diagnostic in identifying trees. Since Ashes have what is called a compound leaf, you can see in your last picture that most of the leaves visible have 7 leaflets, but that whole thing will fall off revealing the leaf scar.

Quirky Quercus
06-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Sac, you're showing classic signs of lurkitis. Lurkitis might be brought on by a subconscious recovery of an Internet forum addiction. Or the addiction may be in a dormant state where it might be gaining strength similar to a hurricane that has slowed over warm gulf waters later to manifest itself in every thought, every chore, every activity when a forum addict can not wait to get back to the computer to log in, to check the recent threads... Has anyone posted?! Has anyone posted?! Need posts! Need posts! There's no escaping it. I disappeared for 3 months then had a relapse. Now I'm posting more than ever. :D

Dracaena
06-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Is this better?