PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, Fern-like leaves, golden "flowers" akin to bottlebrush but more like a comb..

phaedral
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
I was looking at the subject index and thought it would be nice if the topics were a little more descriptive for us newbies a-searchin' for the name of the tree that has been haunting them like popcorn husk under the gums.

Ahem. I need help identifying a tree, before my brain begins leaking out my ears.

Pictures attached...I think.

Many thanks!!!

pwk16
06-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, California climates allow all kinds of strange tropical trees from the Carribbean, Hawaii, China, Australia, and other places to grow there. You might send a cutting of the leaves and flowers to your county extension office to see if they might have some idea of what it could be.

claire squires
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I thought it might be a grevillia Robusta. I enclosed a photo. I have been looking for info on a tree very much like the one you have displayed. Maybe with a bit of luck, we will find the answer. Good luck.

phaedral
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Based on what I see at google web search, google image search and wikipedia for grevillea Robusta I think I owe you a big, big "Thank You!" There is a stretch of the I-10 from roughly downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica which is lousy with these things...and when they're in bloom you almost don't mind being stuck in stop-and-go traffic, because it gives more time to look at these amazing trees.

Thanks!

rl