PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so this isn't a Tree Identification...

tomkinsone
05-13-2006, 05:35 PM
... but can you please tell me what this is on my newly planted treelings?

I went out around 5:30 this evening to look at my newly planted trees (planted since May 2nd). And I noticed that evey single tree, regardless of type had a bunch of these fly/bees stuck to them. Some of the bugs were on the leaves, while some were on the buds of the tree, since there are not leaves yet.

I am wondering if these could be harming my new little trees or if I should not worry about them. Also, can I put some pesticide on them or will that hurt my treelings, (i.e., sevin dust)?

Thanks for your help. I thought if anyone knew, you guys would.

Liz.

saccharum
05-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that you've found the adult stage of either the seedcorn maggot (Delia platura) or cabbage maggot (D. radicum). These fly species are pests of agricultural crops. They get infected with a fungus in the larval (maggot) stage, but often they don't die until just after they emerge in the adult (fly) stage, when they seek out high spots to settle and croak. Then they're often found just like you describe, dead and dying on landscape trees and such.

See this link: Virginia Cooperative Extension (http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomology/444-231/444-231.html).

tomkinsone
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
OK, now that is just gross. I wondr how the got there. Maybe the came with the seedlings, or the mulch I bought or even the planting soil? I have never seen such a thing before.

I will be out buying something to fix the problem tomorrow. I appreciate you input. You all are invaluable.

saccharum
05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
If I'm right, no control is required - unless you're growing veggies. They're already dead and dying on their own as adults, and they're not pests of landscape trees. They're just kind of icky when they show up to die.

I'm not sure why you would find them in high numbers on your property. Do you live near farmland?

tomkinsone
05-14-2006, 08:25 AM
well, there is a farm down the street. Its a pretty rural area. I am thinking the eggs could have been in the mulch or topsoil that I bought. That is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for your help. 8)

Quirky Quercus
05-14-2006, 08:43 AM
OK, now that is just gross.

Aren't you glad you asked?! :lol:
Here you are enjoying nature and all then reality sets in.

tomkinsone
05-15-2006, 07:07 AM
LOL too funny. I guess I just won't worry about it. They don't seem to be eating anything. Dang Nature.

:lol: