Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Tree ID in Oklahoma [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tree ID in Oklahoma

kdcarpenter57
05-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Can anyone help me ID this tree. It is located in my back yard in Oklahoma City. I have searched dozens of web sites and viewed hundreds of pictures and I can't identify it. Thanks

saccharum
05-13-2006, 08:35 PM
That's a tough one. I've seen some sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) with atypical leaves, even some with fairly skinny lobes, but if that's a sweetgum it would be really unusual in my experience. Still, that's the best guess I've got.

Quirky Quercus
05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I was going to say the same thing. I know I've seen those leaves somewhere before. LEt me check to see the list of cultivars.

After checking a couple of websites I can't find anything that describes those leaves on any sweetgum cultivars.

You may not have been there long enough but typically late in the winter time the bark is covered with corky, crusty ridges. Do you remember seeing that?

treeman
05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
This tree I believe is a Worplesdon Sweetgum Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' The fall color can be a Orange, red, yellow, and Purple or a combination mix. Its flowers are yellow and bloom late spring. Its hardness zone is 5-9. It grows to 40-80 feet tall and 25-40 feet wide. This is the only sweetgum known to be entirely fruitless and is slower growing than most sweetgum trees and this is valued and very nice in smaller city areas.

kdcarpenter57
05-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I appreciate the input, but I don't think its a Worplesdon Sweetgum. I observed this tree last fall and it didn't go through any of those color stages. This thing grows like a weed. I topped it last winter to just above the fence line that you can see in the picture. I also pruned all the lower branches so I could mow under it. In just 2 months it has grown to the wooly mess you see in the picture. I just noticed that it now growing some mulberry looking objects right at the base of the leaf stems where it attaches to the branches. Does that help anybody with identifying this tree? Thanks for everyones help so far.

kdcarpenter57
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Also there are no corky, crusty ridges in the winter!

treeman
05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Some of the leaves look very close to Worplesdon Sweetgum but I can tell it grows pretty fast and the fruit would rule it out also. I don't know what it could be. It could even be some kind of invasive plant or tree from China/Asia (which is usually the case) or maybe just some kind of unusual ornamental plant or tree.

Here is the Worplesdon Sweetgum:
http://www.powellnursery.com/images/Plants/Worplesdon_Sweetgum.jpg

Quirky Quercus
05-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah when all else fails, check the invasive species do-not-plant list. I didn't see any possibilities on what I was able to find briefly online.

kdcarpenter57
05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Is there a good web site for invasive do-not-plant lists?

Quirky Quercus
05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I can't seem to find out if there is an EPPC (exotic pest plant council) for Oklahoma. You might check with a local NPS (native plant society). They are usually eager to help and usually have a DNP (do not plant) list for your area.

These sites can also give you general information
www.invasive.org
http://plants.usda.gov/
www.invasivespecies.gov

and also by typing into google the plant name plus the word invasive at the end and if a plant has been invasive anywhere, that is going to tell you all about it.

Thanks for taking the time to research plants before you plant them and for putting up with all the acronyms.