PDA

View Full Version : Oak seedling

nightrust
05-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Since I'm on a role, here's another...

Rescued this one from a raised vegetable bed last spring. Definitely oak. When I moved it, the acorn remains were visible because it germinated sitting between two clods of dirt, sending the roots into one and the top into the other.

There are a lot of Red Oaks and Pin Oaks in surrounding yards, but the leaves don't have the deep lobes, and this seedling is WAY ahead of the surround oaks when it comes to leafing out.

But maybe it looks different because it's a seedling. Still, it almost looks like an English Oak.

Thoughts?

saccharum
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Hard to be sure of course, but that looks to me like a young red oak. It's not uncommon for their lobes to be shallow like that.

Aesculus
05-05-2006, 09:14 AM
At this point it looks like Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra) to me. I believe English Oak (Quercus robur) is a member of the White Oak Group and would have rounded lobes and not bristle tipped leaves as the one pictured.

nightrust
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Absolutely right, Aesculus. This definitely can't be a seedling in the White Oak group because of the pointed leaves. Dumb comment on my part!

The overall shape of the leaves made me think of the English Oak, the way they're narrow at the base, then widen evenly before narrowing back in some at the tip.