PDA

View Full Version : Elm seedling

nightrust
05-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Volunteer seedling that popped up last year. Looks like an elm. Guessing Siberian Elm?

Sorry for the bluriness... my digital camera doesn't like close-ups without the close-up lense, and I can't find that particular lense at the moment.

Aesculus
05-05-2006, 09:07 AM
I think it is either an Elm (Ulmus sp.) or Zelkova sp. What do you think Sac & QQ?

Quirky Quercus
05-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think it's a Zelkova because why would those be popping up like that. I think the Siberian Elm or some type of elm is the most likely scenario.

saccharum
05-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I think Siberian elm is a pretty good guess, but I'd want to see some buds before I felt secure about ruling out some other elm species.

nightrust
05-18-2006, 11:52 AM
I'll try to get a closer picture. Should be easier... he's put on some size since the original picture was taken.

If he's a Siberian elm, he's outta there. Everything I've read says they're invasive and pretty undesirable.

I'd like to be certain before I rip him out, though. Don't want to kill something worth keeping.

treeman
05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't think it is a Siberian elm because the teeth are not that fine. It looks like it maybe
some other kind of Elm maybe even a Hornbeam but the closest tree I know of that looks like that is a American Beech.