PDA

View Full Version : Flowering evergreen

Possum
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a very pretty small tree in the front yard and can not find out it's name. I'd love to have a few more to add to the yard, if anyone knows his name please let me know. We are in lower Alabama but the tree was planted befor we purchased the land so I have no idea where it came from.

The leaves seem to be whorled between 3 and 5 leaves coming off the stem. They are bright shiny green on top and lighter green sort of yellowish under. This is an evergreen as it never sheds it's leaves. The leaves are smooth on the edge, rounded at the base, and come to a slight point on the end oblong in nature.

My tree flowers a pretty white and purplish flower from a cone/artichoke like pod. It flowers in the spring time.

I have not found any nuts or berries on the tree.

Any clues?
Thanks in advance for all your help in naming my tree!

Aesculus
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
This is a Rhododendron. If it was transplanted from the wild, it is Catawba Rhododendron or Catawba Rosebay (Rhododendron catawbiense). Most of the cultivated Rhododendrons purchased from nurseries are cultivars of this plant also. In Alabama it is only native to the extreme NE corner of the state.

Possum
05-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Thank you so much!

I had thought Rhododendron due to the leaves, but I have not seen a flower like mine in the local nursery. With the real name a google search turned up my flower without any trouble. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Now to get some more or try and root some offspring from the plant.

Thanks again,
Possum