PDA

View Full Version : need help in southeast texas

rivrdrm
04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
leaves of this tree are simple, a midrib, round petiole, 3 inches across, 4-5 inches long, denticulate(finely toothed), dark green, soft and thin, alternate,
tiny,white-clustered, bract flowers. Also asymmetrical at base. Bark is light grey with darker grey splotches. Very fragrant leaves, like a flower.
Leaves are large and thin, flutter like quaking aspen.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. My daughter and I are stumped.
Thank you. :)

Quirky Quercus
04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Is it an old-looking tree? How big is it? Describe the habit. Was it planted by humans or did it pop up naturally? If naturally, what are the site conditions like? (Dry, swampy etc)

rivrdrm
04-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not really sure how old the tree is. There are lots of them around our property. They are all naturally occurring. I have small ones coming up as well. This particular tree is about 25-30 feet in height. I live on sloping land with sandy, loamy type soil. We get lots of rain but because the property is sloping, it stays pretty dry.

Thanks for your time
:D

Quirky Quercus
04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
For some reason I thought you mentioned where you were located but I don't see it now. So where are you located?
One thing that comes to mind is Betula lenta which has fragrant leaves but that's shot in the dark. It could be a poplar too depending on where you are.

saccharum
04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Pictures would really help with this one.

rivrdrm
04-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Hope this helps. We are located between Beaumont and Lufkin in southeast Texas.

Thanks again for your time :D

treeman
04-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Those leaves in the background look like a young White Mulberry Morus alba L.

White Mulberry:
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/384x256/1380438.jpg

Clock here to see larger:
http://www.ibiblio.org/botnet/flora/images/Morus_alba002.jpg

saccharum
04-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Could also be paper mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera), you mentioned flowers; can you get a picture of them?

My first guess would be cottonwood (Populus deltoides), except that you said the petiole was round (cottonwood petioles are flat).

Quirky Quercus
04-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Cottonwood would make sense give the fluttering thing and the location.
What about the aroma though?

Aesculus
04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Judging by your description, looking at the leaves, and noticing that there appears to be several sprouts coming from the base of the tree (a characteristic of this tree), and without seeing any flowers or fruit, it appears to be a species of Basswood (Tilia). And, according to the National Plants Database there is only one species attributed to Texas and that is Tilia americana L. var. caroliniana (P. Mill.) Castigl.
Carolina basswood.