PDA

View Full Version : Rapid growth trees

Denise
03-26-2006, 09:30 AM
I came across an ad for a Hybrid Salix tree and would like some information on whether it is a good tree to plant and if it grows as fast as the ad claims. I live in the Hurricane Rita area and lost 29 trees on 4 acres and would like some shade and fast growing trees to replant.

Quirky Quercus
03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
When it comes to trees, Usually.... Faster is not better.
Now there's a lot of shady looking nurseries selling miracle trees that grow rediculous amounts per year but things like hybrid willows or even regular willows are very weak wooded and while they may grow quickly, they would be very vulnerable in a wind storm or especially a hurricane. There's also the reputation they have for very thirsty roots which might damage plumbing etc. Even though you may have lost a lot of trees, there are many coastal native trees that are better adapted to heavy winds and tropical storms. For fast shade, I almost always recommend Sycamore because they grow very fast and the wood is strong. They have big leaves and are a big tree rather than a hybrid willow which is more like a hedge plant. I lived in Florida for hurricanes Frances and Jeanne and there were sycamore planted in coastal areas where many homes where destroyed and they still stood as grand as ever. Bald or Pond Cypress is another good choice and so is red maple.

Toronado3800
04-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Dawn Redwood is a relative to Bald Cypress. It grows with a more interesting trunk but probably doesn't do as well in an absolute swamp. It would be neat to have one to compare to your local cypresses.