PDA

View Full Version : My new Baby Trees

WWham
07-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I am a recent member of the Arbor Day Foundation, and received about 9 baby trees for planting. A few are doing very well and leafing out, but some are still sticks.

We are renting, so I had to plant them in containers until we settle down (but i have heard that this is not a bad way to go for the tree). I have watered diligently as directed, and have followed all directions, but am wondering if some of the kids did not make it, or if for some reason they are dormant.

Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks,

Wendy

pwk16
07-19-2005, 01:10 PM
The trees would do best in the ground and we really haven't researched ways to get them to grow in pots. You might want to contact your local nursery to see what they recommend for this sort of temporary remedy. I do know that most nurseries cover their pots with wood chips in order to protect them from the hot sun and cold temperatures.

WWham
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Will do- Thank you for your advice.

Wendy

Red Maple
07-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Here is a link to the planting instructions for the small trees send out as part of your membership.

Membership Tree Planting Guide

http://www.arborday.org/trees/membershiptrees/

WWham
07-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi Robert,

I did follow the directions to the letter, with the exception of planting the trees directly in the ground. Thinking that since there was not really a good place to plant them at the present, I would container them unitl we move (probably in about a year), hearing that this was an acceptable thing to do. The angled trench idea is just for a short time, is it not?

I thought that the trees which have not leafed may still be dormant, but do not know if this is probable. Obviously, I need to learn more about the care & maintenance of trees, but I do not want to hurt them by my ignorance, either...

:roll:

Wendy

Red Maple
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Speaking as someone who has killed more than my fair share of little seedling trees...I think it is just easier to initially plant them in a bed with some protective fencing to ward off rabbits, deer and other hungry critters.

Please send me an email with your contact info.

rsmith@arborday.org

I don't think your trees are dormant. They should have leaves by now. If we need to send you replacement trees it might be best to wait till you are in your new home. I can send you a special tree replacement letter to hold on to till then.

Meanwhile, I try to learn a little more about the care & maintenance of trees each day. I hope you will too. It is an enjoyable lifelong process. :wink: