PDA

View Full Version : caught between a rain gutter and a hard place

Quirky Quercus
06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Thankfully, I've got quite a few trees that have popped up mysteriously. Most if not all of them are in difficult-to-access places like this one under the rain gutter and a red maple growing out from the base of a holly shrub. I guess they knew they were at risk of getting lawn-mowered.

This one looks like it's a sycamore but there isn't much to go by, just these leaves. The leaves looked totally different a few days ago, they weren't nearly as wide or lobed. My second guess would be mountain maple or striped maple. I am a good bit below where those maples native range and habitat is though.

So what do you think? Sycamore or something else? I want to find out before I pot it up.
http://todd.freeshell.org/gutter_tree1.jpg
http://todd.freeshell.org/gutter_tree2.jpg

pwk16
06-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Trees this young can have leaves that look nothing like they will look in 3 years. Right now it looks like a Snake-Bark Maple, but it could be a Red Maple or a Red Maple hybrid.

saccharum
06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Those pics aren't showing up for me :(

saccharum
06-15-2005, 04:54 AM
They're showing up now, the server must have been down. Tough to do an ID from that. I can see why you're thinking sycamore. They're alternate leaves, right? Is the underside the same color, or lighter?

Quirky Quercus
06-15-2005, 08:19 AM
The underside is lighter. Why not sycamore leaves, they look similiar, don't they? They aren't that big yet but they also look similar to some maples. But those are maples (like snakebark) that I can't see how they would be seeding in my yard. The other popup trees are clearly red maple and yellow poplar, which there are many large trees of those behind the house. So if there were these other maples around and if it weren't for the fact that there are sycamores back there too I wouldn't be so quick to say sycamore. Asking the experts was in order.

The texture is similar to sycamore and not red maple too. I can't really tell if they are alternate yet. The larger leaves appear to be.

Quirky Quercus
06-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Well folks, it's been 8 days and the seedling is twice the size. The leaves are larger and there's several new leaves. They are without a doubt sycamore leaves.

saccharum
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Cool! I don't think I've seen a natural sycamore seedling before. Better move that puppy - they can take off fast.