Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Crapemyrtles; In need of advise [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Crapemyrtles; In need of advise

reesesk
05-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

We just moved to a house in central florida that has two crapemyrtle trees that were cut almost to the ground. We can only assume that these trees suffered extreme damage from the hurricanes last year, as this property also lost an enormous 100yr+ oak tree in the back yard as well. One of the crapemyrtles is growing shoots from the stump, and the other is just beginning to show some growth. Is there any hope of these trees ever returning to their original state with a trunk, or will they stay more like shrubs? If there is any hope, should I tie the shoots loosely together to help encourage it to grow upward, or prune the outermost shoots, or what? I can't seem to find any information to help me.

Thank you!

pwk16
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Newly planted crapemyrtles can be pruned into a tree or left to grow as a shrub. I'm not an expert, but I'm going to say that the limb attachements that grow out of the stump would be fine for letting it become a shrub (this is known as coppicing). I'm guessing that the limb attachment to the stump wouldn't be an ideal place to start growing a tree and that if you did manage to get a tree going from the stump that it would come down with the first big wind.