PDA

View Full Version : Is it an ash?

Arwen
05-17-2005, 07:15 PM
We have a tree in our yard (we live in Virginia) that was the lone survivor of a shipment from ADF 15 years ago (not planted by me!) It's been called 'the pin oak', but it is clear that it is not an oak at all.

From what we can see, it looks mostly like a green ash, but there are some differences from the pictures I can see: The leaves are alternate, not opposite (I hope I'm using the right terms), and they are single-sawtoothed, not double. The last I think must mean that the tree we have, has one sawtooth for each line in the leaf, while it looks like the leaves on a green ash also has one sawtooth inbetween, making it double?

The leaves are glossy, lighter green, turns yellow in the fall.

I would be mostly grateful for any tips!

Arwen

saccharum
05-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Posting a picture would save some time, if you can.

Ash leaves are compound, rather than simple. This means that each leaf is composed of several "leaflets." So, each entire leaf looks something like this:
http://www.arborday.org/trees/graphics/E7A2.gif

Are the leaves compound like that, or are they simple, meaning that a single leaf comes directly from the twig?

Arwen
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I have a picture, but I don't have anywhere to upload it to that is not password protected - I tried to set up our webpage that comes free from the ISP yesterday, but ran into some difficulties.

I am not sure about the leaves - it is the most difficult thing for me to understand every time I try to ID a tree with the online tools.

I am not sure if the leaves are compound. There are 'clusters' of 5 or 7 leaves on one stem (there's the branch, then the twig, then the stem with the leaves sticking out). The leaves are not regular opposite like your drawing, they are alternate and sprout out from all sides of the stem.

Does that help?

Arwen

saccharum
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
I think we need a pic, Arwen :)

You can go to a website like tinypic.com, then upload the photo(s) directly from your computer, and post the link here.

pwk16
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
If you rub the leaves in your fingers do they smell like rancid peanutbutter?

Arwen
05-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Thank you, I had no idea there was such a website! I did, however, know there were websites as the one I found when I mistyped the url with tinypicS the first time... :shock: I thought for a second you were putting me on! :lol:

Here is the mystery tree:

http://tinypic.com/5ahtz7

And the leaves have no smell except a 'plant' smell when they are crushed...

Arwen

saccharum
05-21-2005, 06:34 AM
LOL, sorry about that, I'll have to be careful about recommending tinypic.com in the future!

That looks like sawtooth oak, Quercus acutissima. The leaves are simple, sprouting out of the new (green) twig growth. I can see how that would have been confusing.

Arwen
05-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Thank you so much for your superfast reply, now when I know what to search for, I see in the pics that it looks like a sawtooth oak (which I had never heard about).

It was a little strange, it is on a list of 'Invasive Alien Plants in Virginia' http://www.invasive.org/listview.cfm?list=17
but it seems amazing... My husband insists that it came from NADF...

Arwen

saccharum
05-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Yes... it is invasive in your area. And *ahem* ADF still sells them. It's a bit of a tiff I have going with ADF (I'm unaffiliated): they sell invasive trees.