PDA

View Full Version : What is on my magnolia leaves

missmel
05-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Please help! There is something on the underside of the leaves. It looks
like mold. My neighbors magnolias are blooming and mine is not.
What should I do?

saccharum
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Can you post a picture?

missmel
05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
No. Sorry, I have no camera. A man stopped by last night trying to sell
me lawn service for Scotts. He looked at it and said it was a fungus.
He, of course, said he could treat it, but avoided telling me how to do
it myself. If you know of any products please reply.

saccharum
05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
One thing I frequently see on magnolia leaves is "black sooty mold." It looks like a dingy black or greyish coating on the leaf surface. However, this mold is actually only a symptom of an aphid or scale infestation - it grows on a sugary liquid (called honeydew, actually slightly processed tree sap) that's excreted by these insects.

Does that sound like a possibility? Magnolias are prone to "magnolia scale," which is an insect which can lead to this problem. If this is the case, then first of all treating the problem won't work, and secondly it won't treat the cause of the problem.

I'm afraid services like Scotts are not well-known for their accurate diagnoses or smart treatments.

Jules
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm afraid services like Scotts are not well-known for their accurate diagnoses or smart treatments.

Id have to agree with Sac on that one. Got a problem with a tree? Call a certified arborist. Period.

missmel
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I have had someone tell me to mix Dawn dishwashing liquid heavily in a
sprayer and soak the leaves twice a week. Anyone ever heard of that one?

saccharum
05-19-2005, 09:44 PM
A rather dilute solution (3 tablespoons per gallon of water) of dish liquid is good for spraying to kill aphids and other insects. If the soap concentration is too high, it can also burn the foliage.