Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Asian Birch and Cleveland Pear trees [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Asian Birch and Cleveland Pear trees

RUhappy69
05-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I just purchaced one each from a local nursury and can't wait to plant. I live in Northwestern NJ and the soil is heavy clay. Any advise or tips for planting? Also, I can't seem to find any good info on the Asian birch.. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Jules
05-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Is the birch a Jacquemonti Birch? White bark? If so, that tree will do best in rich, moist soil. Make sure you dig a really wide hole when you plant. I'd loosen the soil in at least a 4-foot diameter circle, to give the tree roots an inviting environment in which to move. Make sure you don't plant it too deeply. Root flare above grade by at least an inch. Keep the soil moist. Don't prune until after the leaves have fallen in fall.

As for the pear, plant in the same way, loosening the soil a good bit around, and again, above grade. The moisture level won't be quite as important on the pear, but it's always an issue with newly planted trees.

Good luck.

RUhappy69
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Great! Thanks for the info. The birch has a white tunk.