PDA

View Full Version : deer eating my trees....help

pri
05-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I love to watch the deer in my yard, but recently I have been on a huge tree planting spree. twenty so far this year. the problem is the deer are not only eating the leaves off of the baby trees, they are eating the tops off of them, and they ate the whole tulip tree!!! someone told me to use mothballs around the bottom of the tree any other ideas out there?

beaconii
05-13-2005, 03:18 PM
So far, I have successfully used dryer sheets to keep deer off my baby trees. I cut the dryer sheets into thin strips and then loosely tie it onto the tree. How many strips I use per tree depends on how big the tree is and how aggressive the deer are to it. I was having a big problem with the deer on a 10(ish) foot tall willow tree and since I affixed about four dryer sheets to it they have left it alone.

Good luck!

Ellyssian
05-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I've tried Repellex tablets - not long enough to be able to report results one way or another. I tied ivory soap pieces to the saplings and that did work for a time, until the deer (or something else) kicked them out of their ties (or ate them); once the soap bar pieces were gone, the deer ate the leaves and trees again.

I'm trying to train my cats to go after them, but so far all they do is *look* like they're going to pounce and chase the big rodents off.