PDA

View Full Version : old dogwood tree?

jim versprille
04-26-2005, 12:12 PM
I have a 50 year old dogwood that is not looking that good this year. I live in rochester new york. It is about 40-50 ft tall. I just purchased the property this winter & knew the previous owner. It had bloomed for them in the years past but has not looked that good the last 2 years. It still has leaves from last year & does not appear to have new buds this year. My questions: 1) does a dogwood not bloom because of old age? 2) Is there any additives that can help promote bloom or help a old tree? 3) Will pruning/trimming from a pro help? I hate to think about taking it out but, if it is past it's time or not going to bloom anymore...... Let me know if anyone has any insight on this manner. Thank you very much.

Jim

Ellyssian
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I know dogwoods (and a lot of other smaller or quick growing trees) tend to have short lifespans - a quick Google on 'dogwood lifespan' listed the lifespan as 50-80 years, so old age could be setting in for the tree.

Have a certified arborist look into it, as they'll be able to better analyze if it is possible to save the tree with some pruning.

Take a look at the list to find an arborist in your area:
http://www.isa-arbor.com/findArborist/findarborist.aspx

cnyoak
05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
We had a couple of very cold winters the last two years in Central and Western NY. This area is the north edge of the dogwoods range, especially out in the open. It is likely that there was some winterkill on upper exposed branches. Keep an eye on it and some pruning may be necessary.