Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
planting from seed [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : planting from seed

keltree
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
could anyone tell me how to grow fruit trees from seeds? I have been saving apple seeds and peach seeds and pair seeds.

Red Maple
04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
It is best to propagate fruit trees from cuttings, grafting, or other vegetative methods to create exact duplicates of the mother tree. Fruit trees grown from seed can vary greatly from the original tree. While some of the characteristics may be similar - key attributes may be missing from the seedling offspring such as disease and cold tolerance.

With fruit trees in particular, most nursery propagated fruit trees are grafted onto dwarfing rootstocks to ensure they are disease and cold tolerant. Young seedlings of these nursery-grown trees will not have the many advantages found in the dwarf rootstock. Standard size trees, particularly apple and pear trees will grow to be very large and potentially unmanageable for the average backyard.

Here is a more a complete explanation from the Midwest Fruit Explorers based near Chicago.

http://www.midfex.org/m/whygraft.html

MidFEx, short for Midwest Fruit Explorers, is a non-profit organization of amateur backyard fruit growing enthusiasts.

Here is a good link from the University of Missouri Extension Service on grafting.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06971.htm#tips

If you would still like to know how to grow fruit trees from seed, please let us know. We can provide that information. Some people just like to try seed propagation. There is always the remote chance you will create a unique tree.

snaderc
06-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Although I am not the originator of this message thread, I would like to learn to grow trees from seeds. My particular interest is in evergreens such as spruce and pine.

Do you have info in that regard?

Chuck Snader

Red Maple
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Hello Chuck,

You need to look for a book entitled, The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael A. Dirr & Charles W. Heuser Jr. This book includes a complete overview of seed propagation in chapter one. In the Encyclopedia section of the book complete instructions are included explaining methods for seed, cuttings, and grafting techniques for each tree covered in the book.

You will find instructions for the seed propagation of yews, junipers, spruce, fir, pine, baldcypress, and other conifers in this book.

pwk16
06-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Growing conifers from seed is quite difficult and unless you're very careful and diligent about getting through this learning curve you might be better off purchasing seedlings from a nursery.

snaderc
04-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Red Maple,
Thanks for the tip. I see one of my local libraries has that book you mention. I will get it and give it a try.

Chuck

P.S.
pwk16, I could have done without your discouragement.

Red Maple
04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Hello Chuck,

You are quite welcome. I hope you can locate a copy of the book.

This item might interest you. I recently learned at a fruit growing workshop that for every 80,000 apple trees grown from seed one might find one exceptionable apple tree.