Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Help! Goats ate Arborvitae's Bark! [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Goats ate Arborvitae's Bark!

rhobbs
04-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi. I recently got goats and they ate the bark off the lower, 3 feet of two, 40+ year old arborvitaes.

I will wrap them in chicken wire to prevent further damage, but is there something I can do to repair/protect them were there's no bark? I'd hate to lose them.

Mepasogirl
04-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Did the goats eat off the bark all the way around? Or just the bark off one side? The inner core of the bark (the cambium) is what transmits the water and nutrients to the upper portion of the tree. If the bark is gone all the way around the tree (girdled) than that is bad news. If the bark is only gone partially around the circumference of the tree, than there may be a chance that the tree will live.

Best of luck :!:

Shannon

rhobbs
04-26-2005, 08:34 AM
I think there may be a little bit left? There was last time I looked. Can I 'patch' the bare spots with something before I wrap them with wire? Pruning seal maybe?

Ellyssian
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Covering the exposed portions with anything - pruning seal or paints or so forth - will cause the tree to take longer to heal itself. There was a time when they were considered Good Things To Do, but they have since fallen from favor.

The best thing to do is to keep the goats away from anything you don't want them to eat.