PDA

View Full Version : A/C Shading

stephandy
04-18-2005, 09:07 AM
I would like to plant something close to my AC unit in order to shade it a little. However, the space is really tight. the unit is next to the house on the side, there is only about 6~8' from the house to the fence. SO this space is in the shade most of the morning. Last dilema is that on either side of the AC Unit that I can plant, i have 2 windows, so I would like to plant something that can be aesthetic from inside of the house too. I was thinking about a Japanese Red Maple, but i was told by the local nursery that it takes very very long from those to get big enough to shade the unit. Sorry for the long narrative, please help. I live in Houston, Tx Zone 9.

Quirky Quercus
04-18-2005, 06:46 PM
I think what you'd need is a shrub. Hygrangea would be an example of a shade tolerant shrub that would get tall enough and grow fast enough to do what you want. I'm sure there's others.

Jules
04-18-2005, 08:39 PM
A Japanese red maple is not going to care too much for the sudden dry winds created by the AC unit. Your description of where this tree needs to be sounds EXACTLY like where my dogwood is. Ten feet from house to fence. AC unit outside one window. Dogwood tree shades AC unit and is planted directly in the middle of the space between the windows so that you can see it from either one (now that the tree is big). I wouldn’t recommend this though. The previous owner of my house planted the dogwood there. While I LOVE it being there because it’s pretty from the windows, shades the AC and provides a screen between my house and my neighbor’s house, I’m constantly having to prune the branches so that it doesn’t touch my house. And it blows around a lot in that dry wind. The tree seems pretty stressed out lately. I agree with Tax; look for a very small tree, or a large bush. Good luck!

pwk16
04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
You might try a purpleleaf sand cherry. Those don't get too large and it will shade your ac unit. Also try forsythia.