PDA

View Full Version : Kwanzan Cherry Tree

Cindy Schultz
04-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I live in Oregon and about 10 years ago planted a Kwanzan Cherry tree. It has never flowered well, and the neighbor's Kwanzan Cherry looks beautiful. It is planted about 20 feet from a Yoshino Cherry which flowered well.

In comparing the tree's leaves to the neighbor's Kwanzan Cherry, my tree's leaves look much smaller and the blooms are smaller and appear slightly shriveled. My tree's leaves also have many holes in them. In spite of all of these problems, it has grown well.

Any idea why it is not flowering well?

Do you think my tree needs fertilizer? If so, how much would you recommend and how often? It is about 50 feet high. Any suggestions for a pesticide?

Thank you.

Jules
04-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Ask your neighbor what she does to fertilize her yard and trees. She may be preventing some pest from her eating her trees and so now it comes over to yours. Or, maybe whatever she's doing to fertilize is just the right mixture. It could also be genetics. It could also be that your tree is just waiting for the right time to surprise you!

One more thought: maybe hers was planted in just the right spot, and with exactly correct planting techniques: not too deep in the hole, proper watering in the first year, mulch that held in moisture but didn't touch the trunk, no competing weeds or grasses, that sort of thing.

Go ask about the fertilizers...
--Jules