PDA

View Full Version : planting in an area that floods

Eulalie Green
04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
We have a large area in our yard (zone 7) that floods with runoff from a park behind our home each time it rains a moderate amount. We would like to plant some ground cover and trees there, but aren't sure about what would be successful. The area does drain and eventually dry, and receives full to partial sunlight. When we moved here we cleared away a lot of unruly privet, nandina, ivy and poison ivy from the area. We would love to have large trees like weeping willows or magnolias if possible. Any suggestions?

Toronado3800
04-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Weulalie Green, I have a damp spot in my yard also. Its at the bottom of a gentle six or seven hundred foot long hill but it has an underground creek with an unattractive concrete drain to help the soil dry out. Nonetheless its frequently too damp to walk in for some time after a rain and can hold water for up to an hour during the heaviest couple rains of the year.

Weeping Williows are often found right off neighborhood lakes in my zone 6 area. The soil they are in is typically fairly solid but the seem to thrive near the water. My neighbor starts them by cutting some three foot branches off trees he likes, sharpening them his secret way, and sticking them in damp soil.

Bald Cypress is a southern swamp tree, and I have Dawn Redwood (an arbor day tree!) in a damp spot of my yard. I'd love to see the Cypress and Redwood grown close together and compared.

Red Maple is sometimes called Swamp Maple so I guess it has water tolerance. River Birch come to mine also.

Ellyssian
04-06-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm using weeping willows, river birch, and a bald cypress in a similar situation. I've also got a couple of dawn redwood nearby to both "streams" that run on my property. I also planted a black pussy willow in one of the overflow areas, and will probably supplement with one or two more, as well as using a ground cover such as liriope.

Jules
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Does the area drain well after the rain?

As long as it does, many red maples would LOVE that.

--Jules

cnyoak
05-11-2005, 12:16 PM
It sounds like just intermittent wet. If the soils are nutral to acidic then pin oak would LOVE it. Swamp white oak, red maple, river birch, white ash, weeping willow, black willow, and silver maples are all really nice trees. You might even be able to consider a white oak there if it no saturated for long periods.

Weeping willow, black willow, and silver maples tend to shed big branches when mature so you don't want them over a driveway or near the house.

Quirky Quercus
05-11-2005, 03:03 PM
How about Nyssa sylvatica (Tupelo or black gum)