PDA

View Full Version : How to correct a lean

stephandy
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
my new Maple leans one way, what should I do to correct it and make sure it will grow somewhat straight? It is a pretty tiny tree,maybe about 5' tall and about 1/2 inch diameter at the thicker part of the trunk? Just planted it 3 weeks ago

Thanks
Andy

Toronado3800
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Hello Stephandy,

By new, do you mean transplanted into your yard this spring? Generally trees lean towards light so yours may have been growing on the end row in the nursery and it might straighten out now.

If you do decide to stake it, use something that won't rub through the bark. I've used a used pair of my girlfriend's nylons with decent luck. They last an amazingly long time.

stephandy
04-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Tornado,

Thanks. Yes, I just bought the tree from nursery and transplanted into our yard. When I first bught it, it was leaning in the pot/root ball, but since I figured that it will correct itself with the sunlight, i just planted straight into the ground instead of tilting the rootball. I used a small stick to kinda keep it in place and tied with a very soft nylon that does not rub against the trunk. I let it lean from east to west a little because I figured the afternoon sun in the west will be more dominant. Yesterday, i untied the nylon and just to find out that it did not correct itself at all, in fact, it is now leaning a little more to the east than before. I am just wondering if i am tieing it ok? shoud I tie it lower or higher? the new growth on top of the tree is actually growing toward the west so the tree actually has a very streched out S shape (reverse). does tying it against a stick and somehow pull the bottom of the trunk toward the west help the bottom to grow that direction? or am I just preventing it from breaking and will do nothing about its lean?

Sorry for the long post,

THanks
Andy

Jules
04-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi,
You need to leave the support in the ground for one growing season before you can try taking it away. Put it back, and then next spring, take it out and see how itís going.

I had a lean problem with my Red Sunset red maple. I staked it, then removed the stake a year later and now itís straight.

Hereís a link to my tree:
http://www.coffeedrome.com/jtree2e.html
--Jules