Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Red Maple [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Red Maple

stephandy
03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
My new REd Maple (Planted 2 weeks ago and was about 5' tall) 's leave are pretty small and curling up, is it suppose to be like that? I am in houston, Tx ZOne 9 i believe. Thanks!

Andy

Quirky Quercus
03-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Is it just leafing out or are they curling up and turning brown? The leaves start out kind of curled up.

stephandy
03-29-2005, 05:46 PM
turns reddish/brown...

stephandy
03-31-2005, 01:13 AM
actually, they are starting to turn back to green (light green) but they are still kinda droopy and curly?

Thanks
Andy

Quirky Quercus
03-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Are you 100% sure it's getting enough water or is not planted incorrectly?

stephandy
03-31-2005, 12:43 PM
i think it was planted correctly, but i just dont know about the water. I slowly water it everyday for about 15~20 minutes, about 2 gallons of water. I always thought it might be too much that is why the leaves are droopy? also, I sometimes water at night (early evening reight after it gets dark because that is when I get home. Does that make any difference? how can u tell if you are watering too much and too little?

THanks
Andy

Jules
04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
You are watering too much. Only water with the hose once a week, and then only if it hasn't been raining much. Your tree needs time to drain and dry out. Watering in the early evening shoudn't be a problem, since that's the best time for you. (I think the ideal time is early morning, but I don't believe it makes all that much difference.)

Here's a look at my trees, if you're interested. I've planted several red maples of different cultivars, and some that I don't know what cultivar they are, if any.

http://www.coffeedrome.com/jtree2.html

Good luck!
-Jules

Quirky Quercus
04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Sounds like an aweful lot of watering to me too. I thought I posted a link here about the watering. Maybe it was my imagination.
http://www.watersaver.org/saveourshade.asp

hickfromthestix
04-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I appear to be having a similar problem. I planted two Red Maple trees at the same time , in early March. The trees are planted near one another in the same type of soil. One of the trees seems to be doing well; however, the other has smaller, curled leaves. The curled leaves are browning around the edges. I live in very arid Zone 8 and water each tree with about 1.5 gallons twice weekly. Any advice?

Jules
04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Try watering VERY slowly and thoroughly ONCE a week instead of twice. How tall are the trees? Could it be that the curling one was planted too deep?

I always watered my trees using the slow soak method. Set the hose on a trickle, water flowing just a tad more than dripping. Leave it on the rootball 10 minutes for every foot of tree height. Divide the time in quarters. Move the hose every quarter.

So, for example, if your tree is 9 feet tall, slow soak once a week for 90 minutes. Think of the rootball as a clockface and your hose as the little hand. Put the hose at "12 o'clock" on the clock face. Leave it there for about 25 minutes. Then go out and move it to "6 o'clock" for 25 minutes. Next, move to "9 o'clock" for 25 minutes and finally, "3 o'clock." You only need to do this when there has NOT been a good soaking rain during any given week.

How's the drainage? Red maples love water, but they do need to dry out between waterings.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
--Jules

stephandy
04-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I thin kI did plant my too deep. I checked for the root flare, i must be about 2~3 inches too deep. HOw can I correct this? just flattten out the dirt around it?

THanks
Andy

Jules
04-29-2005, 06:07 PM
You can do that, but the dirt will fill back in to its natural level, trust me. It just isn't a nature-friendly fix.

Since it was planted in March, you probably don't want to disturb the roots now. You could dig it back up in fall, after the leaves fall off, and replant correctly then. Meanwhile, yes, you could move the dirt away from the base for now. You'll probably have to check on it and keep pushing it back through fall. Boy, I hope this helps!
--Jules

stephandy
04-29-2005, 06:24 PM
HI Jules,

Thanks. I think I should just leave it alone. After all it has been thru already (over water, fertilizer, root stimulator, transplant....) Because I live in Houston Tx. When will the tree be "dormant" so i can "safely" replant it? does it just mean when all the leaves fall or is there a certain temp or condition i have to have before i can move it?

Thanks

Jules
04-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I would fix it as soon as all the leaves are gone. And you are right -- that tree has been through a lot and should not be stressed out any more! Poor little thing.

hickfromthestix
04-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Jules,

Thanks for the suggestions. My trees are still very small, each one measuring about three feet tall. I think the they are planted at an appropriate depth, so I'll try your "slow soak" method of watering, cutting it back to 30 minutes per tree once a week.

Thanks again for your help.