Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Mulberries? [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mulberries?

familypendragon
03-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I remember the wonderful mulberry trees from my childhood, and to this day it is my most favorite berry. I wish that they sold the fruit at the grocery store, but my guess is that it must be too fragile...

I saw many beautiful examples growing at Camp Gaia in Kansas and wondered if they might grow here. I am in Rhome, Texas, zone 8, clay soil that is locally referred to as black gumbo, and I have normal or wet places on my property in which to plant.

Also, where can I buy one of these fruit bearing mulberries, and do I need more than one to have fruit.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Ellyssian
03-07-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure if the mulberries will grow down there, but I do know that you should plant two or more for polination.

familypendragon
03-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Well at least that's something :) Now if I could also get some feedback from someone that knows a source and if they will indeed grow it would be wonderful. Thank you for your help!

saccharum
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Mulberries are dioecious, which means that individual trees are either totally male or totally female. Male trees don't bear fruit, but having one nearby would increase the yield of a female tree. Unfortunately, unless you can find one grown from a cutting of a "sexed" tree, you won't know which you have until they mature and start flowering.

Something to think about: one of the more commonly found mulberries is white mulberry (Morus alba), which is an invasive exotic species, and is known to be a problematic weed tree in Texas.

However, you do have a mulberry species that's native to Texas: red mulberry, Morus rubra. Its fruit is considered superior to white mulberry, and you can plant it knowing that you're not causing problems for nearby natural areas. I'm afraid I can't help you regarding where to find a source in your area.

familypendragon
03-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Thank you for all your great info! Leave it to me to end up answering my own question, LOL! In case any one else is interested I found what at least appears to be a great source for a wide variety of mulberries at http://www.tytyga.com/mulberries/index.htm I think I am going to give them a call when I can afford one of their bigger trees, and see if their experts think the Pakistan Red Mulberry is suited to my area. Imagine 5" super sweet mulberries! Check out the description at http://www.tytyga.com/mulberries/pakistanpg4.htm If any one knows anything about this company I would love to hear from them :)

Thanks again!

mrmakAUCTIONEER
03-11-2005, 11:00 AM
so does that meen one male tree in center with several females spaced evenly around would all bear fruit? :oops:

wow nice link on the mulberries. let me know if you expieriment with them i may try some too. we had a white mulberrie in duncanville tx. It was a very pretty tree maybe 12-15 feet tall.

familypendragon
03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
WARNING!! Do NOT use TYTY Nursery please read this info first www.gardenwatchdog.com

Thanks to a fellow gardener who turned me onto this site BEFORE I ordered!

mrmakAUCTIONEER
03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
WARNING!! Do NOT use TYTY Nursery please read this info first www.gardenwatchdog.com

Thanks to a fellow gardener who turned me onto this site BEFORE I ordered!
WOW :oops: :oops: :shock: BUMMER EH?
NICE FIND ON THE GARDEN WATCH DOG THO. :D

I HAVE BEEN EAGERLY digging around their site. wow its huge site. very impressive. tons of free info. and a fee based forum. a link to their subscription page
http://davesgarden.com/subscribe.php

cdsrna
03-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Nopt sure where you are but Im close to San Antonio and I have a couple and they do great. They are very hardly trees.

familypendragon
03-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm up near the Dallas/Ft Worth area... don't know if we have similar soils or not...? :)

cdsrna
03-30-2005, 03:54 AM
WEll your in luck thats way better soil than down here plus you get more freezes. Good luck they are great trees.

pwk16
03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Most commercial nurseries such as TyTy and Edible Landscaping and so on are reputable firms. What I have noticed from the posts I've seen on Garden Watchdog is that the people who post very negative reviews rarely make a concerted effort to contact the nursery and find out about the replacement policy. We replace all trees that don't come out of dormancy here at Arbor Day (free), but if you read our reviews on Garden Watchdog you would be led to believe that we never replace trees.
I personally have had great luck with Edible Landscaping and their replacement policy and they do offer many kinds of mulberry trees. I'm sure TyTy is reputable also, but I do not have personal experience with them.

amckenas
04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 35 years. I had two mulberry trees, one purple and one white. They grew very well and the purple one had tons of fruit. The white one only had fruit one year and then it died! One warning- birds love the purple fruit and will leave purple 'deposits' for a four-block radius!
In the Phoenix heat, mulberries only live for 25-35 years and die. A good source of any sort of tree or plant with fruit on it is www.raintree.com. I have placed orders with them before and in fact have a large order coming this spring (I'm in NY now).

amckenas
04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Oops. I gave the wrong url in my previous message. It should have been www.raintreenursery.com