PDA

View Full Version : I am a tree planting Rookie... can anyone help me?

TreeWillie2
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
:D Hi, I am new to this forum and I need some help. I just moved onto some new land. I have never planted a tree nor maintained a tree or shrub in my life... I am excited about planting my first tree. I have many projects planned but want to plant according to my budget. I first need to understand what i have to work with and what steps need to be taken first. I keep getting different directions on how to plant trees... on this site they say use your same soil... on HGTV and other places like at lowe's and at nurseries I am hearing that I need to use root stimulators and organic soil and fertilizer to help the tree grow. well what is the best advice...?
I have many more questions...........so get ready experts in the room.

Toronado3800
01-31-2005, 03:37 AM
Willie, two years ago I bought my house and caught the planting bug.

The arbor day instructions say just plant your tree back in the soil you removed from the hole. By the time I pluck out the grass and loose some it seems I always have to add dirt from some place else in the yard or from a bag of top soil. I also read fertilizing new trees is usually more of a hinderance as it can "burn" the roots, whatever that is.

Maybe if you have your soil tested and it shows a defeciency in Nitrogen or something you can fertilize to make up for this after the tree has been around a couple years. I also like the idea of whatever isn't hardy enough just dying while its small before I spend the next ten years babying the things only to have to take my sawzall out when I can't afford to fertilize the monsters.

I found out Corn won't grow well w/o fertilizer but its a one year plant.

Quirky Quercus
01-31-2005, 09:04 AM
This is quite possibly the best tree planting guide I've ever seen, Go here http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP112

Read the paragraph on fertilizer. In other tree planting guides, it says no fertilizer within the first month. I tend to stay away from fertilizer and root stimulators. I also tend to stay away from watering too once the trees are established,

pwk16
01-31-2005, 12:52 PM
We have complete planting and pruning instructions on our website. They also come in printed form with the trees we send out. An inexpensive moisture meter can be purchased from most garden centers and this will let you know how much or little to water your new trees. Also, you'll want to put some sort of fence or barrier around them to keep the bunnies, deer, and weed-eaters away from them.

terryenterprises
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Well, i had the advantage of working on my uncles tree farm. I could plant a tree at 6 years old, but keeping one alive takes work, i had thousands. The biggest pointer i could give to a novice planter is keep the ground around the tree moist. Dont overwater. take a garden hoe and take care of any weeds around the tree. This will give your tree at least a fighting chance.