Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Getting Ready to buy trees [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready to buy trees

DBundick
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
We live in Corinth TX . Our Back yard has NOTHING in it and we need trees. However we do have a few things to keep in mind. We have 4 German Shepherd that use this back yard. So we need to have trees that are dog friendly and can with stand dogs. The other thing is them must be able to with stand the Texas heat. SO my question is what kind of trees to buy? We need shade.......

thank you

Quirky Quercus
01-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Aside from that do you have any preference as to what you want the tree to look like? Evergreen or deciduous? Mature growth shape such as columnar, round. How much space do you have? do you want a big tree or a small tree? Do you want a flowering ornamental or jolly green giant back there?

DBundick
01-03-2005, 09:23 PM
We like any kinds of trees. When we left our home town in VA and moved to Corinth TX which is between Dallas and OK we noticed the lack of trees like we were use to seeing. VERY TALL ever greens and oaks, maples and the lovely dog woods in the spring.

We need something that grows rather quickly. In our front yard there is 1 Live oak, 2 bradfort pear trees, few shrubs and 3 rose bushes. My husband was thinking about lining the fence line with an ever green and then maybe a shade tree off set in the back yard away from the house. Down here they plant the trees right up to the house not thinking about how big they will get or what happens if we get a tornado.
We are in the planning stages and trying to get ready for the spring planting. We like round medium size tree. That will give little color in the fall and maybe be a little frangent in the spring.

thank you

Toronado3800
01-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I know what you mean by saying you like all kinds of trees. As long as it isn't in a stupid place most every tree has something to offer.

My neighbor has problems with his dogs either digging up or urinating on his seedlings. This year we put a bit of a plastic fence up in about a three foot circle around a transplanted ash and it seems to be working.

I'm ASSUMING, but perhaps any tree which has more tolerance for acidic soils won't mind dog urine or feces as much.

Quirky Quercus
01-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I know exactly what you're going through!! I went through the same tree withdrawal when I moved from Atlanta to the east coast of Florida. That's what developed my interest in trees. As for the feces and urine, don't trees in the woods get wildlife going to the bathroom on them all the time? I would try it and if I was concerned, just put up some kind of temporary barrier like that plastic orange safety fence or erosion control barrier that you can stake in the ground to keep your pet away from it.

Here's a link you might find helpful. It shows you photos of texas natives and tells you about the soil adaptability. You'll find that many trees that grow in the wild in Virginia also grow in Texas.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/indexcommon.htm

DBundick
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Thank you both so much for the information and the link. We hope to put something in the ground soon. You see we raise German Shepherd. We have 4 right. Now that use our back yard as play ground. I would like to provide them with a little shade.
Last spring we planted a few bulbs and the other flowers. We had to cover them with a little nettling until they came up and turn to dog training for the dogs not to dig them up. It worked too. So I don't think trees would be a bigger training issue. I might be wrong but we will see.
We had beautiful flowers in our back yard along with a small herb garden. So now it is on to trees. I will let you all know what we choose in a few weeks.

take care