PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ planted E. Red Cedars

35Whelen
01-03-2005, 08:10 AM
When my wife and I joined AD, we ordered 10 Eastern Red Cedar seedlings to plant on our 55 acres here in North Central Texas. They came in, I put them in the fridge for a day or two, heeled them until I could plant them a few days later. They always looked fine. While transporting them to our property and preparing the planing sites, I kept them in a bucket of water. I planted all 10 of them about two weeks ago as per the enclosed instructions and watered them generously. I watered them again about a week after planting them even though the planting sites were still quite wet. We had a hard freeze (10 +/- degrees) the night of the second watering.
Yesterday I noticed that all of the trees had begun to turn yellow causing great concern. Are they dying or just in "shock"?
Thanks for any help,
Greg

Toronado3800
01-05-2005, 01:48 AM
They looking any better yet Whelen? I don't own any E.R.Cedars so I don't have much advice. I know other overgreens like my Hinoki Cypress get some more yellow-brown to their interiors over the winters. Are they yellowing from the outside in or inside leaves out? Most of the E.R.Cedars around here are twenty feet tall and at least from the roadway look to stay steady green.

35Whelen
01-05-2005, 03:40 AM
They were green and normal looking until I planted them. Mind you, they're just seedlings; quite small. I thought surely someone here would have an answer.

Quirky Quercus
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
If that's the same as juniperous virginiana (sp?) then that's what I have. The common names eastern r.c. and southern r.c. seem to be used interchangably but I never did find out if they were the same. When I planted them they went through a little transplant shock, then greened up. After the hurricanes knocked them around they went through shock again. And when I dug them up and put them in pots a while back they are still going through shock. They really don't transplant that well.

Red Maple
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
In summer, these established eastern redcedars should be a nice deep emerald green color, but in winter the outer branches and exposed trees can turn yellow to a rusty brown color.

However, the fact these are young seedling trees concerns me. They may be suffering from transplant stress. The cold weather shouldn't bother them too much. I would continue to monitor these trees. Make sure they are carefully mulched, and it won't hurt to water them in Texas during the winter months.

Ask your local County Cooperative Extension agent how often to water the trees this time of year.