PDA

View Full Version : Planting E. Red Cedar and Norway Spruce from cones/seeds?

fishdean
01-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I could use some advice on how to plant these two types of trees. I have them on my farm but they are getting old and I'm losing a few of them. The existing trees were probably planted by either my grandfather, great grandfather, or possibly even my great great grandfather, so keeping them going has tremendous sentimental value to me.

My goal is to replace a few that have died from the old stock that is still there.

Norway Spruce:
I have cones from them, can I just plant the cone in a bucket of dirt and get it started indoors under a light?

Eastern Red Cedar:
I'm not sure what the seeds even look like. Are they more of a berry? I can't find any cones or berrys, but there are some small brown lumps in the branches that might be dried up berry.

Thanks,

Dean

doapunk
01-01-2005, 07:15 PM
for the norway spruce i would take the seeds out of the cone and start them off under a light.

for the eastern red cedar, if you cant find any 'berries' then i would try growing one from a cutting of a leaf

hope that works,
Tommy

fishdean
01-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Okay, but what are the seeds in the cone? Are they tiny little spores, or are the blades of the cone each a seed?

I'll try a cutting from the Cedars.

Regards,

Dean

doapunk
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
inside the blades of the cone are the seeds. they are really tiny (about 1/8" to 1/4") winged seeds that almost resemble maple seeds. usually they are right inside the blade when you pull it back, but other times it can take a little while to find them

hope that helps,
tommy

fishdean
01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks! I found one seed so far, just like a miniature maple seed. But they are scarce, possibly they did what they are supposed to do in this cone and separated earlier.

So, now what? Just plant it in a peat pot and see if it sprouts? Or is this a bad time of year to start them indoors. I've got a flourescent grow light for starting plants.

Dean

FF_EMT_921
01-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Dean-

Pop the (closed) cones on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven on a low setting and away from the heat source. It will open up for you like a blossom and all the seeds will just all fall out. :)

doapunk
01-05-2005, 11:49 PM
also, be sure to get a lot of seeds to germinate because you will find that not all of them will germinate. a fairly low percentage of conifer seeds are capable of germinating.

good luck

fishdean
01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks. I did find 9 seeds in some Norway Spruce cones I found. Most of the seeds had "flown the coop" already, they were opened up. I planted them in peat pots and have them under a grow light, we'll see what happens.

Dean