PDA

View Full Version : Silver Linden

Rich
01-01-2005, 06:49 AM
I am planning on Planting a tree in front of my house to cut down on the sun baking my house over the summer. I was thinking about going with a silver linden but was wondering about the blooms and bees. From what I have read, the blooms attract bees but does it do such a good job that I will have to worry about the bees being a problem? Thanks. rich

Red Maple
01-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Hello Rich,

Please read this brief statement from an expert on bees & pollination.

"One of the first concerns for many folks is whether these creatures will sting. Many can sting, but stinging is most likely when you disturb the nest of a colonial species, like honeybees, hornets, social wasps, and bumblebees. Solitary species rarely sting, and only under extreme provocation. No bee will sting when they are visting flowers, unless you grab ahold of them. If you don't run barefoot thru the dandelions and clover, and don't mess with their nests, you have little to worry about. If you are truly allergic (and a whole lot more folks think they are, than really are), carry a sting kit at all times. You cannot "bee-proof" the world; if you could it would be a world rife with famine."

For more information please see: http://www.pollinator.com/

Another important question is, "Where do you live?" If you live in a southern state like Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona please contact your County Cooperative Extension Agent to ask about the impact of Africanized honey bees in your area.

The bees found in your silver linden will likely be busy with the tree's flowers...not with you.

I was stung once while watching a honey bee in an apple tree. I was standing directly in the path of it's return route to the hive. I didn't give the bee enough room to turn around and fly away.

saccharum
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, even africanized bees aren't aggressive unless they perceive that their hive is threatened.

Lindens do attract various pollenator insects, but I've never seen it become a problem. Littleleaf lindens are commonly planted street/sidewalk trees in some areas.