PDA

View Full Version : White Pine

Tanner
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so here goes :!: :) I live in the northern most part of Ky and am building a house on a heavily treed lot on which sits a fairly rare (for our area we've been told!) and extremely beautiful white pine that's about 60 feet tall. We made it clear to are builder that no harm was to come to this tree; enter Mother Nature! :x We recently had a nasty ice storm and some of the pine's branches broke off under the weight of the ice! My question is, will these grow back and what can we do to insure the health and well being of this awesome tree?? :!:

Thanks

saccharum
12-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Can you post a picture of the damage?

A big eastern white pine is definitely a beautiful thing!

Toronado3800
12-29-2004, 04:29 AM
Good idea on keeping some trees. The clear cut new subdivision/golf course look isn't for me. Keep the area around your pine as close to it was before the building as you can. I don't know how close together your trees are, but removing all the trees surrounding a "forest" tree leaves it more open to wind damage and creates undue stress. Also, removing your pine's neighboring trees lets the front end loaders and other equipment close enough to the pine they can compact the soil around its roots.

Hope
12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Tanner, I applaud you, too, on wanting to keep the tree! I'm sorry I don't have any advice to add, but I wish you good luck.

Your question reminded me that I've been wanting to ask a question of my own about white pines:

In the Arbor Day Foundation Tree Book here online it calls the white pine an "exquisite native pine that can be used as a sheared hedge."

I don't think I have ever seen sheared pines, and I confess that the thought of shearing them like a privet hedge makes me a little uncomfortable. Yet that sentence in the Tree Book was one of the things that attracted me to this particular tree. I planted 30 baby white pines around the perimeter of my back yard so that I could quickly (relatively) have some privacy, but I won't be able to let them all reach their full width.

What do I need to know about shearing pines when the time comes?

Tanner
01-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies! The Pine seems to be doing well. We had a stretch of warmer weather and the tree looks like its going to be ok. There were some trees that were very close to it that were removed. But I think that was for the best. I also have some huge Poplars and Maples in the vacinity of the Pine so it is not totally exposed to the elements. Sorry I can't post a picture: haven't gone digital with the camera yet!! Thanks again!

Tanner